Two lines intersect at three points?

In summary, two lines intersect at three points because of the concept of infinity in Euclidean geometry. However, in other geometries, the lines may intersect at more than three points due to the different understanding of infinity.
Mr. X
Two lines intersect at three points?

I have a question that's been bugging my mind. :confused: Imagine the lines y=x and y=2x. Let's find their intersection point.
y=x and
y=2x so that
x=2x If we give x the value of 0 the equation will be correct. (1st intersection)
But if we give x the value of infinity the equation will be correct once again.
(inf=2*inf) (2nd intersection)
If we put negative infinity for x the equation will be correct. (3rd equation)
We have found three intersection points. We know that lines either do not intersect or intersect at only one point or intersect at infinite points. They certainly cannot intersect at three points. Is it because infinity is not a real number, which means that we don't care about the points of intersection whose coordinates are equal to either infinity or negative infinity? :wink:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I assume x and y are real numbers? In which case you can not substitute in infinity because it is not a real number.

Mr. X said:
I have a question that's been bugging my mind. :confused: Imagine the lines y=x and y=2x. Let's find their intersection point.
y=x and
y=2x so that
x=2x If we give x the value of 0 the equation will be correct. (1st intersection)
But if we give x the value of infinity the equation will be correct once again.
(inf=2*inf) (2nd intersection)
If we put negative infinity for x the equation will be correct. (3rd equation)
We have found three intersection points. We know that lines either do not intersect or intersect at only one point or intersect at infinite points. They certainly cannot intersect at three points. Is it because infinity is not a real number, which means that we don't care about the points of intersection whose coordinates are equal to either infinity or negative infinity? :wink:

In Euclidean (planar) geometry, there are no points at infinity - so the two lines only meet at x=y=0.

There are other geometries where lines can meet in more than one place. For example, spherical or hyperbolic geometry.

What is the definition of intersecting lines?

Intersecting lines are lines that cross each other at a common point, creating three distinct points of intersection.

How many points of intersection can two lines have?

Two lines can have a maximum of three points of intersection. They can intersect at one point, two points, or three points.

What is the difference between intersecting lines and parallel lines?

Intersecting lines cross each other at a common point, while parallel lines never intersect and always maintain the same distance between each other.

Can two lines intersect at more than three points?

No, two lines can only intersect at a maximum of three points. This is a fundamental property of lines in Euclidean geometry.

What type of angles are formed by intersecting lines?

When two lines intersect, they form four angles at each of the three points of intersection. These angles can be acute, right, obtuse, or straight, depending on the positions of the intersecting lines.