Calculating Parachute Sizing to Slow Landing Aircraft: A Problem-Solving Scenario

In summary: I realize your force will vary with speed. But won't the work done result in the desired change in Kinetic energy?Yes, I have the force required to be 15.4kN. I don't know how to translate this into a projected area. I guess I need to find the area of a parachute that will exert 15.4kN on the aircraft.
Spimon
I'm trying to solve a problem which involves the following scenario. Any help would be great!

A landing aircraft (mass 14 tonnes) is to be slowed from 300km/hr to 180km/hr in 3 seconds, by the deployment of two identical parachutes at its rear. Determine the diameter of each parachute. The landing is done at sea level in standard conditions.

So far:

- Drag coefficient of the parachute is 1.2
- Density of air is 1.23kg/m^3
- 300km/hr = 83.3 m/s
- 180km/hr = 50 m/s

F = M.A
F = 14000 * (83.3-50)/3
F = 15400 N

What I'm unsure of is what to use as V in the drag coefficient equation. I assume this requires me to integrate, but I'm not exactly sure what to integrate.

I'd really appreciate any help offered!

Physics news on Phys.org
Spimon said:
I'm trying to solve a problem which involves the following scenario. Any help would be great!

A landing aircraft (mass 14 tonnes) is to be slowed from 300km/hr to 180km/hr in 3 seconds, by the deployment of two identical parachutes at its rear. Determine the diameter of each parachute. The landing is done at sea level in standard conditions.

So far:

- Drag coefficient of the parachute is 1.2
- Density of air is 1.23kg/m^3
- 300km/hr = 83.3 m/s
- 180km/hr = 50 m/s

F = M.A
F = 14000 * (83.3-50)/3
F = 15400 N

What I'm unsure of is what to use as V in the drag coefficient equation. I assume this requires me to integrate, but I'm not exactly sure what to integrate.

I'd really appreciate any help offered!

Don't you also need the formula for Drag Force?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_resistance#Drag_at_high_velocity

I'm not sure if I need the formula or not. Is that formula applicable to acceleration, or only steady state velocity?
That's what I'm confused about.

Spimon said:
I'm not sure if I need the formula or not. Is that formula applicable to acceleration, or only steady state velocity?
That's what I'm confused about.

Doesn't your Force give you your M*A

I realize your force will vary with speed. But won't the work done result in the desired change in Kinetic energy?

Yes, I have the force required to be 15.4kN. I don't know how to translate this into a projected area. I guess I need to find the area of a parachute that will exert 15.4kN on the aircraft.

Using the Drag Equation, as you kindly posted the link to, I don't have a 'V'. I've successfully used this equation for steady state velocity (for example, finding the area required to maintain a parachute at say, 7m/s.). I'm not sure when the velocity changing.

My initial through was to integrate V^2 from t=o to t=3 and use this as 'V', but this is a huge number (148 929)

Ohhhh, the work approach may be a go'er. I'll see what I can do with that! :D

Spimon said:
Yes, I have the force required to be 15.4kN. I don't know how to translate this into a projected area. I guess I need to find the area of a parachute that will exert 15.4kN on the aircraft.

Using the Drag Equation, as you kindly posted the link to, I don't have a 'V'. I've successfully used this equation for steady state velocity (for example, finding the area required to maintain a parachute at say, 7m/s.). I'm not sure when the velocity changing.

My initial through was to integrate V^2 from t=o to t=3 and use this as 'V', but this is a huge number (148 929)

What I'm getting at is that maybe you want to integrate the Force over the distance to arrive at the work done in terms of the area and the other constants - which by the way you already know the work done since you know the change in Kinetic Energy.

I'm still not getting a reasonable answer. Not sure where I'm going wrong. Thanks for the help anyway :)

What is the purpose of calculating parachute sizing for landing aircraft?

The purpose of calculating parachute sizing is to determine the appropriate size and type of parachute needed to safely slow down and land an aircraft. This is important for preventing damage to the aircraft and ensuring the safety of passengers and crew.

How is parachute sizing calculated for landing aircraft?

Parachute sizing is calculated using a combination of factors, including the weight and size of the aircraft, its airspeed, and the desired rate of descent for landing. These factors are used to determine the necessary drag force and surface area of the parachute needed to slow down the aircraft.

What types of parachutes are commonly used for landing aircraft?

The two most common types of parachutes used for landing aircraft are the round parachute and the ram-air parachute. The round parachute is a simple, circular parachute that creates drag through its shape. The ram-air parachute has a more complex design with airfoil-shaped cells that inflate and create lift, allowing for more control during descent.

What are some challenges in calculating parachute sizing for landing aircraft?

One of the main challenges in calculating parachute sizing is accurately predicting the weight and airspeed of the aircraft, as these can vary depending on factors such as fuel levels and weather conditions. Additionally, there may be limitations on the size and weight of the parachute that can be used, which must be taken into consideration when calculating sizing.

What other factors should be considered when determining parachute sizing for landing aircraft?

In addition to weight, airspeed, and parachute limitations, other factors that should be considered include the altitude of the aircraft, the terrain of the landing area, and any potential obstacles or hazards that could impact the descent. These factors can affect the necessary rate of descent and the type of parachute that is most suitable for the landing scenario.