Calculating Power Output of a Weightlifter

In summary, power output is the rate at which work is performed or energy is transferred over time and is typically measured in watts or kilowatts. It can be affected by factors such as the type and efficiency of the system, fuel input, and external conditions. Power output is directly related to energy production and can be increased through various methods.
lonlyincolleg

Homework Statement

A weightlifter is able to lift 250 kg 2.00m, in 2.00s. What is his power output?

Homework Equations

W=M x N
P = W/Change t

The Attempt at a Solution

250 x 2 = 500 (I thought that this was work) so then I divided by time (2.00s) to get power. The answer is not right. It should be 2.45 kW. Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work = m*g*h, you missed a "g" in there, so you are off by a factor of 9.81

I got it. thank you!

1. What is power output?

Power output is the rate at which work is performed or energy is transferred over time. It is a measure of how much power is being generated or used by a system.

2. How is power output measured?

Power output is typically measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW). One watt is equal to one joule per second, and one kilowatt is equal to 1,000 watts.

3. What factors affect power output?

Power output can be affected by various factors such as the type and efficiency of the system, the amount of fuel or energy input, and external factors such as temperature and altitude.

4. How does power output relate to energy production?

Power output is directly related to energy production, as it is a measure of the rate at which energy is being produced or transferred. The higher the power output, the more energy is being generated or used.

5. Can power output be increased?

Yes, power output can be increased through various methods such as improving the efficiency of the system, using higher quality fuels, and optimizing the design and operation of the system.