Volume of Submerged Solid: Solve Given Densities

In summary, the problem involves determining the volume of an object submerged in liquids with known densities, given its apparent weights in each liquid. Specific gravity is not relevant in this context. By considering the relationship between gravitational force, buoyant force, and the apparent weight, two equations can be formed to solve for the volume of the object.
stratomire

Homework Statement

Problem : An object is solid throughout. When the object is completely submerged in ethyl alcohol, its apparent weight is 15.2N. When completely immersed in water, its apparent weight is 13.7 N. What is the volume of the object? (The density of ethyl alcohol is 806 kg/m3 )

Homework Equations

SG = (WA - WL) / (WA - WW)

SG = ρL/ρW

ρ = m/v

WA = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried answering the problem by using the equation for specific gravity of a liquid lighter than water, which is:

I know that SG can also be expressed as ρL/ρW, and from that I tried solving for V and got this equation:

V = (ρL WA - ρW WL) / [(ρL ρW) (g) (ρ)] ; g is 9.8 m/s2.

From this point on I was stuck.

I know the densities of water and ethyl alcohol because it was given but I don't know the density of the object so I just can't directly substitute the values. Because of this I am in great need of help, I can't think of another way to solve for the object's volume. Can you guys help me a little?

Thank you to those who'll be reading this and to those who'll try to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi stratomire,

stratomire said:

Homework Statement

Problem : An object is solid throughout. When the object is completely submerged in ethyl alcohol, its apparent weight is 15.2N. When completely immersed in water, its apparent weight is 13.7 N. What is the volume of the object? (The density of ethyl alcohol is 806 kg/m3 )

Homework Equations

I don't recognize this equation in the context of this problem. Isn't this related to the s.g. of a mixture?

Anyways, I don't think the specific gravity is the way to think approach this. Instead, when the problem says that the apparent weight in alcohol is 15.2N, how are the buoyant force and gravitational force related? What equation can you get from that?

Do the same for the apparent weight in water, and you should find two equations with two unknowns.

Dear student,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with your approach using specific gravity. However, you are correct in identifying that you need the density of the object in order to solve for its volume.

To find the density of the object, we can use the equation ρ = m/v, where ρ is density, m is mass, and v is volume. We know the apparent weight (WA) of the object in both ethyl alcohol and water, so we can use the equation WA = mg to find the mass of the object (m). Once we have the mass, we can then use the given densities of ethyl alcohol and water to solve for the volume of the object.

Here is a step-by-step solution to the problem:

1. Use the equation WA = mg to find the mass of the object in ethyl alcohol and water.
WA = 15.2 N, WL = 13.7 N, g = 9.8 m/s^2
For ethyl alcohol:
15.2 N = m x 9.8 m/s^2
m = 1.55 kg
For water:
13.7 N = m x 9.8 m/s^2
m = 1.40 kg

2. Use the given densities to find the volume of the object in ethyl alcohol and water.
For ethyl alcohol:
ρ = 806 kg/m^3, m = 1.55 kg
V = m/ρ = 1.55 kg / 806 kg/m^3 = 0.00192 m^3
For water:
ρ = 1000 kg/m^3, m = 1.40 kg
V = m/ρ = 1.40 kg / 1000 kg/m^3 = 0.00140 m^3

3. Subtract the volume of the object in ethyl alcohol from the volume of the object in water to find the volume of the submerged part of the object.
Vsub = 0.00140 m^3 - 0.00192 m^3 = - 0.00052 m^3

4. Since the object is completely submerged, the volume of the submerged part is equal to the total volume of the object.
V = Vsub = - 0.00052 m^3

5. However, we cannot have a negative volume, so

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a submerged solid?

The formula for calculating the volume of a submerged solid is V = m/d, where V is the volume, m is the mass of the solid, and d is the density of the liquid in which the solid is submerged.

2. How do you determine the density of a liquid?

To determine the density of a liquid, you will need to measure the mass of a known volume of the liquid using a scale and then divide the mass by the volume. The resulting value is the density of the liquid.

3. Can the density of a solid change when it is submerged in a liquid?

Yes, the density of a solid can change when it is submerged in a liquid. This is because the density of the liquid can either add to or subtract from the density of the solid, depending on the relative densities of the two substances.

4. How does the volume of a submerged solid change when the density of the liquid changes?

The volume of a submerged solid will change when the density of the liquid changes. If the density of the liquid increases, the volume of the submerged solid will decrease because it will displace less liquid. Conversely, if the density of the liquid decreases, the volume of the submerged solid will increase.

5. Can you calculate the volume of a submerged solid if you know the density of both the solid and the liquid?

Yes, you can calculate the volume of a submerged solid if you know the density of both the solid and the liquid. Simply use the formula V = m/d, where m is the mass of the solid and d is the difference between the density of the solid and the density of the liquid.