Spin and polarization of a photon

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Stefan-Boltzmann law by considering a box of photons and taking into account their density of states and polarizations. The question arises about the relationship between spin and polarization and whether the three independent spin states of a photon should be accounted for. It is mentioned that helicity and spin correspond to the same thing, while polarizations are linear combinations of helicities. The constraint of masslessness may limit the photon to only two independent helicities. A suggestion is made to refer to Chapter 6 of the book "Quarks and Leptons" for further clarification.
Pacopag

Homework Statement

I'm trying to derive the stefan-boltzman law by considering a box of photons (as in Landau and Lifgarbagez and other texts). At one point in the derivation we multiply the density of states by 2 in order to account for the two independent polarizations of a photon. But at what point do we account for the fact that the spin of the photon is 1, so we have the "three" independent spin states, -1, 0, and 1? Or is there a relationship between "spin" and "polarization" that no one told me about?

Homework Equations

The number of states with frequency between w and w+dw is
[tex]2 V d^3w \over (2\pi)^3[/tex]
V is the volume of the box, the rest of the stuff is from the phase space volume element and
the factor 2 out front accounts for the two polarizations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I read an older post about helicity of a photon. The poster mentioned something about a photon not being found in a spin 0 state. I didn't fully understand what he/she was saying. But it made me think that maybe 'polarity' and 'spin' are the same thing for a photon, and that the two polarities just correspond to two of the allowed spins while the third possible spin is just forbidden for some reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I understand, what you say is correct..there are three helicity states corresponding to the three spin states of the photon...makes sense since helicity is the projection of the spin along the momentum...and spin projections 1,0 and -1 corresponds to value of projection along, say, the z axis...If you take momentum along the z axis, both helicity and spin should correspond to the same thing...polarizations, on the other hand, are some linear combinations of the helicities...

I think there is some constraint due to masslessness which makes it only two independent helicities (only the transverse ones) for the photon ... a massive spin 1 particle should have 3 degrees of freedom...

Maybe you can look at chapter 6 of the book Quarks and Leptons by Halzen and Martin...

1. What is spin and polarization of a photon?

Spin and polarization are two fundamental properties of a photon, which is a tiny particle of light. Spin refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a photon, which cannot be directly observed but has measurable effects. Polarization, on the other hand, describes the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields of a photon as it travels through space.

2. How are spin and polarization related?

Spin and polarization are closely related because they both describe the angular momentum of a photon. The spin of a photon determines its polarization, as different spin states result in different orientations of the electric and magnetic fields. Additionally, the polarization of a photon can also affect its spin in certain situations.

3. How is the spin of a photon measured?

The spin of a photon can be indirectly measured through its interaction with other particles. For example, when a photon collides with an electron, the electron will either absorb or emit the photon depending on its spin state. This allows scientists to analyze the behavior of the electron and infer the spin of the photon.

4. What is the significance of spin and polarization in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, spin and polarization play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles. They are essential for explaining phenomena such as the photoelectric effect and the double-slit experiment. Furthermore, the spin of a photon is a key component in quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

5. Can the spin and polarization of a photon be changed?

Yes, the spin and polarization of a photon can be changed through various processes such as absorption, emission, and scattering. For example, when a photon is absorbed by an atom, its spin state can be altered, and it can then be emitted with a different polarization. This is how polarized sunglasses work, as they filter out certain orientations of light to reduce glare.