What Should I Do Next to Sketch Level Curves?

• Thread starter Somefantastik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, the conversation discusses graphing a level curve for the function V(x,y) = x^{2}-y^{2}-2x+4y+5 and how to rewrite it as a hyperbola. The final form is V(x,y) = (x-1)^2 - (y-2)^2 = c - 8.
Somefantastik
[tex]x^{2}-y^{2}-2x+4y+5;[/tex]

let [tex]x^{2}-y^{2}-2x+4y+5 \ = \ c; [/tex]

To sketch this as a level curve, I'm not sure how to proceed. I can't seem to rearrange the function into anything familiar.

For the sake of trying to find a reference point, I let x=0 and found

[tex] y \ = \ 2 \ ^{+}_{-}\sqrt{9-c};[/tex]

then y=0 =>

[tex] x \ = \ 1 \ ^{+}_{-}\sqrt{-4+c};[/tex]

If I let c = 5, I get

[tex]x^{2}-y^{2}-2x+4y = 0; [/tex]

which gives x = 0, x = 2, y = 0, y = 4.

What should I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Level curves are usually for functions f(x,y) = blah i.e. when you have 2 ind. variables. Here you only have one ind... so you can solve for y by completing the square

The function that I am trying to draw level curves for is

[tex] V(x,y) =x^{2}-y^{2}-2x+4y+5;[/tex]

Well you should be able to rewrite it by completing the square, I'll work this one as example

[tex]V(x,y) = x^2 - y^2 - 2x + 4y + 5 = (x-1)^2 - (y-2)^2 + 8 [/tex]

Assuming my algebra is right, does that help you see it?

Ok, yeah I see that. It's a translated hyperbola?

I keep getting

[tex]V(x,y) = (x-1)^{2} - (y-2)^{2} +5; [/tex]

Which is a hyperbola centered at (1,2) and translated somewhere 5 units?

How are you getting that?

[tex] (x-1)^2 - (y-2)^2 + 5 = x^2 - 2x + 1 - (y^2 - 4y + 4) + 5 = x^2 - y^2 - 2x + 4y + 2 [/tex]

That's not what you started with?

I should have been paying better attention.

How would I graph this? My cal books just have all these guys equal to 1.

[tex] V(x,y) = (x-1)^2 \ - \ (y-2)^2 \ + \ 8 \ = \ c; [/tex]
[tex] V(x,y) = (x-1)^2 \ - \ (y-2)^2 \ = \ c \ - 8; [/tex]

Well, if [itex](x - 1)^2 - (y - 2)^2 = c - 8[/itex], then

[tex]\frac{(x - 1)^2}{c - 8} - \frac{(y - 2)^2}{c - 8} = 1.[/tex]

That should be in a slightly more familiar form.

What is sketching level curves?

Sketching level curves is a method used in mathematics and science to visualize and understand a function in two dimensions. It involves plotting points on a graph where the function has a constant value, creating a contour map of the function.

Why is sketching level curves important?

Sketching level curves is important because it allows us to see the shape and behavior of a function without having to solve for specific values. It also helps us identify key features of the function, such as maxima and minima, and understand how the function changes across different inputs.

How do you sketch level curves?

To sketch level curves, you first need to determine the range of values that the function can take. Then, choose a few values within that range and plot them on a graph. Finally, connect the points to create a smooth curve, repeating the process for different values to get a better understanding of the function.

What information can be gathered from sketching level curves?

Sketching level curves can provide information about the behavior of a function, such as its direction of change, concavity, and points of interest. It can also help identify any symmetries or patterns in the function.

Are there any limitations to sketching level curves?

While sketching level curves can provide valuable insights into a function, it is limited to only two dimensions. It may not accurately represent the full behavior of a function in higher dimensions and may not be suitable for more complex functions.