Temperature of Bulb Filament

In summary, the temperature coefficient of resistivity for tungsten is 4.5e10-3. When the flashlight bulb is turned on, the resistance of the tungsten filament is 11 Ohms.
JJones_86

Homework Statement

A common flashlight bulb is rated at 0.3 A and 3.3 V (the values of current and voltage under operating conditions). If the resistance of the bulb's tungsten filament at room temperature (20.0 degrees Celsius) is 1.10 Ohms , estimate the temperature of the tungsten filament when the bulb is turned on.

Take the temperature coefficient of resitivity for tungsten to be 4.5e10-3

Homework Equations

R = V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

R = 3.3V / 0.3A = 11 Ohms when turned on

Little lost on how to find the temperature when turned on.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the units on that coefficient of resistivity? Perhaps we can make up a formula relating it to temperature and resistance.

I'm curious about a custom I see universally in this forum. It's been quite a few years since I was in school and I wonder if this custom indicates a change in the way EE is being taught nowadays. Traditionally E instead of V has been used to represent electromotive force just as I represents current instead of A. In the past a distinction has been made between the unit of electromotive force and its designator.

Are instructors and textbooks now using V for electromotive force?

How much does the resistance of the filament change?

With that Δ in resistance perhaps you can figure the Δ in temp needed to develop that much resistance?

Traditionally E instead of V has been used to represent electromotive force
I remember that, Skeptic! I've been in high school for 30 years and all our books and government exams just used V for electric potential, which is a bit confusing leading inevitably to saying "Voltage" instead of "potential". But P and E are busy already so V is a relief.

What is the temperature of a bulb filament?

The temperature of a bulb filament can vary depending on the type of bulb and the amount of electricity it is using. However, on average, the temperature can range from 2,700 to 3,300 degrees Celsius.

How is the temperature of a bulb filament measured?

The temperature of a bulb filament is typically measured using a device called a pyrometer. This device uses infrared radiation to accurately measure the temperature of the filament.

What factors can affect the temperature of a bulb filament?

The temperature of a bulb filament can be affected by various factors, including the amount of electricity flowing through it, the type of gas inside the bulb, and the material of the filament itself.

Why is the temperature of a bulb filament important to consider?

The temperature of a bulb filament is important because it directly affects the brightness and lifespan of the bulb. Too high of a temperature can cause the filament to burn out quickly, while too low of a temperature can result in a dim and inefficient bulb.

How does the temperature of a bulb filament relate to its color?

The temperature of a bulb filament is directly related to the color of light it produces. As the temperature increases, the color of the light shifts from red to orange to yellow to white. This is known as the color temperature of the bulb.