Electron spin resonance question

In summary, the conversation is about an electron spin resonance experiment using the sample 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazil. The sample is placed between two Helmholtz coils and measured using an oscilloscope in X-Y mode. At a radio frequency of 18-35MHz, the expected waveform is shown, but at frequencies below 18MHz, a different waveform is observed. The question is why this happens and a qualitative explanation is requested. The conversation also discusses the use of a background B-field and RF perturbation, similar to NMR, and the presence of a pickup coil. The speaker also mentions Lissajou patterns and the doubling or tripling of output frequencies, but is
Dogsnake

Homework Statement

This isn't exactly a homework question, but my lab partner and I came across a phenomena whilst doing an electron spin resonance experiment, and I was wondering if anyone could help explain it.

The sample we found electron spin resonance for is 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazil.

A glass phial containing the sample was placed between two Helmholtz coils, so that the B field was uniform, and within the output coil of a radio frequency oscillator. The drop in voltage due to resonance was measured by an oscilloscope in X-Y mode.

Whilst the radio frequency oscillator was set at 18-35MHz, the waveform shown by the oscillator at resonance was the first shown in the attached file (this was the expected shape). Below a frequency of about 18MHz for the radio frequency oscillator, the waveform looked like the second shown below (excuse my drawing skills, but that's pretty much what it looked like)

The question: Why has this happened?

A qualitative explanation would be fine, as we don't plan on doing experiments on the anomaly itself, we just need to know what's happening. I've spent a while perusing relevant textbooks and can't find a reference to it.

Thank you.

Attachments

• resonance shape.jpg
    resonance shape.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
What voltage are you measuring? You have a background B-field for a reference orientation, and you are perturbing the system with RF, much like NMR (MRI), no? Do you also have a pickup coil?

What does it mean to set an oscillator at 18-35MHz?

I will assume that X is input and Y is output. You can immediately determine from your Lissajou patterns that the output frequency of the top one is doubled, and the output frequency of the bottom one is tripled. I can't understand exactly what you're doing or measuring, though, so I don't know why you get that extra node.

1. What is electron spin resonance?

Electron spin resonance (ESR) is a spectroscopic technique used to study the electronic structure of molecules, atoms, and solids. It involves the absorption of electromagnetic radiation by unpaired electrons in a magnetic field.

2. How does electron spin resonance work?

ESR works by placing a sample in a magnetic field and applying electromagnetic radiation, usually in the microwave range. The unpaired electrons in the sample will absorb energy and transition to a higher energy state, which can be detected and measured.

3. What types of materials can be studied using electron spin resonance?

ESR can be used to study a variety of materials including organic and inorganic molecules, free radicals, and paramagnetic ions. It is especially useful for studying materials with unpaired electrons, such as transition metal complexes and semiconductors.

4. What are the applications of electron spin resonance?

ESR has various applications in fields such as biochemistry, materials science, and environmental science. It can be used to study the structure and dynamics of biomolecules, identify free radicals in biological systems, and analyze the composition of materials.

5. What are the advantages of using electron spin resonance compared to other spectroscopic techniques?

ESR has several advantages over other spectroscopic techniques, including its sensitivity to unpaired electrons and its ability to provide information about the local environment of these electrons. It is also non-destructive and can be used to study materials in their natural state without the need for sample preparation.