Magnetic Flux through a bent loop.

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnetic flux through a bent square with a uniform 0.050T magnetic field pointing downward at a 45 degree angle. Two possible solutions are to treat it as two flat surfaces and add their fluxes, or to find the surface outlined by the two sides and take into account the change in angle of the field.
Jnumen

Homework Statement

A 10cm x 10cm square is bent at a 90deg angle as shown in the figure.

A uniform 0.050T magnetic field points downdard at 45deg.

What is the magnetic flux through the loop.

Homework Equations

Flux= [(Aeff)*(B)].
Flux= [(Aeff)*(B)]*cos(theta).

The Attempt at a Solution

First I solved for the side due to the bend by using d= SQRT of [(a)^2*(c)^2].

Then, I calculated the Area using A= [(d)*(b)].

Then, I tried calculating with or without the 45deg angle using the following (which is not giving the correct answer):

Flux= [(Aeff)*(B)].
Flux= [(Aeff)*(B)]*cos(theta).

Attachments

• C25P44.jpg
    C25P44.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 533
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know how I am supposed to treat the bend?

I have done problems when the area was flat, but I am not sure what I need to do differently when the area is bent. Isn't it going to decrease the area?

Jnumen said:
Does anyone know how I am supposed to treat the bend?

I have done problems when the area was flat, but I am not sure what I need to do differently when the area is bent. Isn't it going to decrease the area?
Two ways to go about it:

1) Treat it as two flat surfaces of area b*c and b*a. Find the flux through each of those surfaces and add them up.

2) Find the surface outlined by the by the two b sides. The angled piece doesn't matter, since the field is parallel to the bend. Sure the area changes, but so does the angle that the field makes with that surface.

What is magnetic flux through a bent loop?

Magnetic flux through a bent loop is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a loop of wire that is bent or curved.

How is magnetic flux through a bent loop calculated?

The magnetic flux through a bent loop can be calculated using the formula Φ = BAcosθ, where Φ is the magnetic flux, B is the magnetic field, A is the area of the loop, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop's surface.

What factors affect the magnetic flux through a bent loop?

The magnetic flux through a bent loop is affected by the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the loop, and the angle between the magnetic field and the loop's normal.

How does changing the angle of a bent loop affect the magnetic flux?

If the angle between the magnetic field and the loop's normal is changed, the magnetic flux through the loop will also change. When the angle is 90 degrees, the flux is at its maximum, and when the angle is 0 degrees, the flux is at its minimum.

What are some practical applications of understanding magnetic flux through a bent loop?

Understanding magnetic flux through a bent loop is important in designing and understanding electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in measuring the strength of magnetic fields and in various imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).