Greek letter symbols for pasting into replies

• Thread starter Bob S
  • Start date
In summary, where can I find the Greek letter symbols for pasting into replies (e.g., alpha, beta, gamma etc.)?https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=347
Bob S
Where can I find the Greek letter symbols for pasting into replies (e.g., alpha, beta, gamma etc.)?

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=347 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that link, Turbo. More broadly, for mathematical notations (powers and roots, integrals, etc.) is there any way to 'type' those into the forum, or are all such symbols in posts pasted in from other sources each poster may have?

If the latter, as I suspect, is there any simple and free program one can download just to be able to 'write mathematically'?

Thank you.

Ike47 said:
Thank you for that link, Turbo. More broadly, for mathematical notations (powers and roots, integrals, etc.) is there any way to 'type' those into the forum, or are all such symbols in posts pasted in from other sources each poster may have?

If the latter, as I suspect, is there any simple and free program one can download just to be able to 'write mathematically'?

Thank you.
I'm not familiar with LaTex, but I believe that this forum has the capability to handle such notation.

get a Mac!

Ike47 said:
More broadly, for mathematical notations (powers and roots, integrals, etc.) is there any way to 'type' those into the forum, or are all such symbols in posts pasted in from other sources each poster may have?

Hi Ike47! :smile:

For powers and indices, use the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box.

For symbols, get a Mac! :biggrin:

xyn ; √x ; ∫x dx :wink:

Thank you2!

As for getting a Mac, when I finally someday have the funds for a new computer, I'm certainly considering that option already. :)

Ike47 said:
Thank you2!

:biggrin:
As for getting a Mac, when I finally someday have the funds for a new computer, I'm certainly considering that option already. :)

Get an old 233MHz iMac on ebay for under $100 …

even the very first Macs had symbols like √ ∫ ß µ ∆ ∂ ∑ π on the standard keyboard :wink:

Cool. However, I think I'll wait on a new computer till I can get one that is a significant upgrade on my current pc (which has all of a 700 MHZ chip).

Bob S said:
Where can I find the Greek letter symbols for pasting into replies (e.g., alpha, beta, gamma etc.)?

So to summarize the 3 options:

1. Bookmark the link to my blog that turbo gave in post #2. The same link is in my current sig.
If you just want Greek letters, as you said, then this is the easiest way.

2. Use LaTex
Note, this is more CPU-intensive for PF's host server, as it must generate an image file for each snippet of LaTex code. At least that is my understanding.

Either insert LaTex code by hand between Latex tags [noparse][tex]...[/tex][/noparse], or

In Advanced edit mode, click the Σ icon to get a drop-down menu of LaTex symbols

For more info, see https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf
and also do a forum search on "latex" for useful discussions.

3. Get a Mac with the symbols on the keyboard
Disclaimer: I am a PC person, who has simply lost count of how many times I've heard tiny-tim say this. :smile:

Powers and subscripts are easy to do using bbcode tags.

[ sup ]13[ /sup ]C[ sub ]6[ /sub ] without the spaces inside the brackets reads: 13C6

And here's a link to the [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] tutorial thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Redbelly98 said:
3. Get a Mac with the symbols on the keyboard
Disclaimer: I am a PC person, who has simply lost count of how many times I've heard tiny-tim say this. :smile:

I have another method for Greek letters, because I use them a lot. I have set up my windows system on a PC to have two possible input languages. I'm running XP. Here's how.

• Go to the control panel.
  • Select "Regional and Langauge Settings".
  • Pick the tab marked "Languages".
  • Click the button for "Details".
  • From here, you can "Add" more languages, and also alter "Key Settings"

I include a picture of the steps, as they apply on my machine. Note that I am set up so that LeftAlt-Shift switches between my two available input languages.

I can now type in Greek ωερυ εασιλυ. ΨΑΠΤΙΑΛΣ, ΑΛΣΟ. I don't speak any Greek; I just use the letters as variables.

Cheers -- Sylas

LangSeq.JPG

That is great!

Ευχαριστω !

Haven't figured out yet if there's any way to add accents and breathings, though they aren't needed for scientific notation, of course.

1. What are Greek letter symbols and why are they used in replies?

Greek letter symbols are characters from the Greek alphabet that are often used as a shorthand or visual aid in written communication. They are frequently used in replies to convey certain concepts or ideas, especially in scientific and mathematical fields.

2. How can I insert Greek letter symbols into my replies?

There are a few ways to insert Greek letter symbols into replies. One way is to use the "insert symbol" function in most word processing or messaging programs. Another way is to use the "Alt code" method, where you hold down the Alt key and type a specific number sequence on the numeric keypad to generate the symbol. Additionally, you can copy and paste the symbols from a web page or character map.

3. Are there specific Greek letter symbols that are commonly used in replies?

Yes, there are certain Greek letter symbols that are commonly used in replies, especially in scientific and mathematical contexts. Some examples include alpha (α), beta (β), gamma (γ), delta (δ), and omega (ω). These symbols often represent specific concepts or variables in equations or formulas.

4. Can Greek letter symbols be used in any language or only in English?

Greek letter symbols are not limited to the English language and can be used in any language. However, their usage may vary depending on the language and context. For example, certain Greek letter symbols may have different meanings in different languages or may not be used at all in some languages.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for using Greek letter symbols in replies?

There are no strict rules for using Greek letter symbols in replies, but there are some general guidelines that can help avoid confusion or misinterpretation. It is recommended to use the symbols consistently and correctly according to their intended meaning. Additionally, it is important to consider the audience and context in which the symbols are being used to ensure clear communication.