Acceleration on an incline help please?

In summary, if the block is not accelerating, the sum of the forces acting on it is gravity and friction.
quirty1

Homework Statement

The question asks, At what angle would the straight need to be inclined at in order for the acceleration of the pod from B to C to be 0m/s^2?
and if the straight was inclined at 3 degrees calculate the final velocity
the coefficient of friction is 0.17 the mass is 6000kg the distance is 172m

Homework Equations

i think my teacher said to use M (coefficient of friction) = tan (theta)
but i have no idea how to do this :s any help will be greatly appreciated !

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure about any of this at the moment, but if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

thanks.

edit:
sorry if I'm sounding impatient, but if anyone knows the slightest thing of this could you please lend a helping hand, that would be much appreciated.. this thing is driving me insane lol - if you have a formula i could use or anything :s, if you need more information i probably have it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
quirty1 said:

Homework Statement

The question asks, At what angle would the straight need to be inclined at in order for the acceleration of the pod from B to C to be 0m/s^2?
and if the straight was inclined at 3 degrees calculate the final velocity
the coefficient of friction is 0.17 the mass is 6000kg the distance is 172m

Homework Equations

i think my teacher said to use M (coefficient of friction) = tan (theta)
but i have no idea how to do this :s any help will be greatly appreciated !

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure about any of this at the moment, but if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

thanks.

edit:
sorry if I'm sounding impatient, but if anyone knows the slightest thing of this could you please lend a helping hand, that would be much appreciated.. this thing is driving me insane lol - if you have a formula i could use or anything :s, if you need more information i probably have it
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Could you perhaps provide a diagram, the situation is somewhat unclear?

Thanks for your reply!

eisbie.jpg

there is a image, it's basically a mass traveling down a triangle, i need to find theta/the angle of incline for the mass acceleration to be 0m/s^2
edit: that thing it's traveling down is 172m long

Thanks for providing the image.

If the block is not accelerating, what can you say about the sum of the forces acting on the block?

well the only forces acting on the block i would imagine would be gravity+friction?

edit: oh i might have forgotten to mention, the block has already accelerated pretty fast by some magnets.. (4.7gs i calculated) then it's just moving by itself from there on. It's initial velocity is 50.9m/s which i calculated to be 183.24km/h

Last edited:
quirty1 said:
well the only forces acting on the block i would imagine would be gravity+friction?
That is indeed correct. If the block is not accelerating, what can you say about the sum of these two forces?

AH! i get it now... thanks mate, i think that the 2 forces have to be equal, then the tan(theta) of the incline must be my coefficient of friction !

1. What is acceleration on an incline?

Acceleration on an incline refers to the change in velocity of an object as it moves up or down an inclined surface. This change in velocity is caused by the force of gravity acting on the object.

2. How is acceleration on an incline calculated?

The acceleration on an incline can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. Does the mass of the object affect the acceleration on an incline?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the acceleration on an incline. Heavier objects will experience a greater force of gravity and therefore a greater acceleration compared to lighter objects.

4. How does the angle of incline affect the acceleration on an incline?

The angle of incline directly affects the acceleration on an incline. As the angle increases, the force of gravity acting on the object also increases, resulting in a greater acceleration. Conversely, a smaller angle of incline will result in a smaller acceleration.

5. What are some real-life applications of acceleration on an incline?

Acceleration on an incline is a commonly seen concept in physics. It is used in various real-life applications such as roller coasters, ramps, and inclined planes in construction. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the motion of objects on sloped surfaces.