Theoretical Yield Calc: Asprin (C9H8O4)

In summary: Is the reaction balanced?Yes, the reaction is balanced.Is this due tomorrow?It is due on Thursday, but there are no office hours until after the work is due, for some reason. If all else fails, I will just use the density that I found on Google for the acetic anhydride.
kathyt.25

Homework Statement

Calculate the theoretical yield of aspirin (C9H8O4).
C7H6O3 + C4H6O3 --> C9H8O4 +C2H4O2
Mass C7H6O3 = 2g
Volume C4H6O3 = 4mL

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to go with this prolem at all. I can't just assume that the density of C4H6O3 is 1g/mL because it's not water, and the problem doesn't say to assume its density to be the same as water. All I could do was find the molar mass of each substance:

C7H6O3 = 138.13g/mol
C4H6O3 = 102.1g/mol
C9H8O4 = 180.17g/mol
C2H4O2 = 60.06g/mol

I also know that I have to find the limiting reagent, to actually determine the mass of C9H8O4, but doing that requires some more information. I know that I can just Google the density of C4H603, but if its not given in the problem then its assumed that there is another way. From what I know about calcualting the limiting reagent, you need either:
(1) mass reactant / molar mass reactant --> we don't have the mass of C4H603
OR
(2) volume reactant * density reactant / molar mass reactant --> we don't have the density of C4H603 either

So with the information provided, I have no idea how to calculate the mass of C9H8O4 (aspirin)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have the correct answer? It's been a while since I've done this but I'm sure I can help you figure it out.

Wax said:
Do you have the correct answer? It's been a while since I've done this but I'm sure I can help you figure it out.

No, we aren't given the answers for these problems.

Is the reaction balanced?

Yes it is.

Is this due tomorrow?

It's due on Thursday, but there are no office hours until after the work is due, for some reason. If all else fails, I will just use the density that I found on Google for the acetic anhydride

kathyt.25 said:
It's due on Thursday, but there are no office hours until after the work is due, for some reason. If all else fails, I will just use the density that I found on Google for the acetic anhydride

Cool, we still got some time then. :biggrin:

This is general chemistry 1 right? I have a book, let me open it up.

Okay nevermind. LOL It's been too long for me. :X

Last edited:
In general problem - as stated - can't be solved for the reasons OP pointed out in the first post. However, you know number of moles of salicylic acid. Try:

1. Calculate stoichiometric number of moles of acetic anhydride.
2. Calculate mass of stoichiometric anhdyride.
3. Assuming 4 mL of anhdyride mass is that you calculated iin point 3 - what would be the density of the pure anhydride?
4. Have you ever seen an organic compound with that density? Does it look realistic?
5. If not - what will be the reasonable mass of the 4 mL? Higher than stoichiometric? Lower than stoichiometric?
6. So, what is in excess?

Could be that's off and that's not what you are expected to do, but for me that gives clear answer to the problem.

Anhydride density is very close to 1 g/mL.

What is the theoretical yield of Aspirin?

The theoretical yield of Aspirin (C9H8O4) is the maximum amount of Aspirin that can be produced in a chemical reaction, assuming that all reactants are completely converted to product and there are no side reactions or losses.

How is the theoretical yield of Aspirin calculated?

The theoretical yield of Aspirin can be calculated using the following formula: theoretical yield (in grams) = (moles of limiting reactant) x (molecular weight of Aspirin).

What factors can affect the theoretical yield of Aspirin?

Theoretical yield of Aspirin can be affected by various factors such as impurities in reactants, incomplete reactions, and experimental errors. It can also be affected by the efficiency of the reaction and the purity of the final product.

Why is it important to know the theoretical yield of Aspirin?

Knowing the theoretical yield of Aspirin is important in order to determine the efficiency of the reaction and to compare it with the actual yield. It also helps in identifying any errors or limitations in the experimental procedure and in optimizing the reaction conditions for a higher yield.

Can the theoretical yield of Aspirin ever be achieved in a real-world scenario?

No, the theoretical yield of Aspirin is an ideal value that can only be achieved under perfect conditions. In a real-world scenario, it is not possible to completely convert all reactants into product and there will always be some loss or side reactions that will affect the actual yield.