Do I have the abilities to continue for a Phd?

• Thread starter Kokuson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the speaker is a Mechanical Engineering student from the Middle East who is considering pursuing a Master's degree and then a Ph.D. but is unsure of the qualifications needed. They have a good academic record but struggle with remembering course material and understanding complex scientific theories. The speaker is also concerned about their GPA and their ability to contribute to society through engineering. They are wondering if determination is more important than intellectual ability in obtaining a Ph.D.
Kokuson
Hi,
I want to know if I have the qualities of continuing for a Master degree and then to a Phd. I am a Mechanical Engineering student in the Middle east. I am asking this question because I do not know what are the qualifications that I need to continue. I usually get an A+ or at least a B+ in engineering courses but I can hardly remember anything 2 months after finishing the course, is it normal ? I don't know how to deal with differentials. Moreover, should my GPA be 3.9 to continue? my current GPA is 3.5 and I got some hounors. I will graduate in 2011. I am fond of engineering and really want to participate in helping humanity, improving industry and giving istead of just taking.

What makes me asking this question is that I cannot understand some of the scientific articles or theories. for example, I tried to read about Weather modification and for general knowledge the theory of relativity but I could not understand that much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everyone has a bad memory, that's why everyone does revision, and why all maximise revision just before the exam rather than two months before the exam. Who can, or wants to, remember all those silly differential rules. You can look em up if you ever need them in your research. I'm always coming across stuff I can't understand 'much'. The world is an exceedingly complicated place, and there's a lot of hard science around, and each of us can only grasp a fraction of it.

Once you are past a certain basic level of academic ability, getting a Ph.D. is much more about determination than intellectual ability. It's a long hard road to slog, and a lot of very smart people can't do it.

1. Do I need to have a specific set of abilities to pursue a Phd?

Yes, pursuing a Phd requires a certain set of abilities such as critical thinking, problem-solving skills, strong research skills, and the ability to work independently.

2. How can I determine if I have the necessary abilities for a Phd?

You can assess your abilities by considering your academic performance, research experience, and the feedback you have received from professors and mentors. You can also take a self-assessment test or talk to a Phd advisor for guidance.

3. What if I lack some of the abilities required for a Phd?

It is normal to have some weaknesses, but it is important to work on improving and developing those abilities. You can take courses, attend workshops, and work with a mentor to enhance your skills. Remember, perseverance and dedication can also make up for some lacking abilities.

4. Can I acquire the necessary abilities for a Phd during my studies?

Yes, you can acquire and improve your abilities through your studies. As you progress in your academic journey, you will have opportunities to engage in research and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. You can also seek out internships, volunteer work, and extracurricular activities that can help you build a strong skill set.

5. What if I am unsure about my abilities to pursue a Phd?

If you are unsure about your abilities, it is always a good idea to seek guidance from a Phd advisor or a mentor. They can help assess your strengths and areas for improvement and provide valuable advice on whether a Phd is the right fit for you. Remember, it is never too late to work on developing your abilities.