Specifying a hydraulic pump and motor for a class project

In summary, the team is considering purchasing a set of pump and motor to install in their hydraulic vehicle. They need to choose a pump and motor combination that will provide high torque (300 Nm) and low speed (at least 300-500 rpm) while still allowing the speed to be high (at least 500-1000 rpm).
koii123
I am doing a project of hydraulic vehicle. My professor ask our team to install a hydrualic pump and motor in the vehicle. We are considering to purchase a set of hydraulic pump and motor, and we have the following requirements:

1. We have an existing electric motor of 22kW, 60Nm (continous) and 3500rpm (continous)
  2. For the hydraulic motor, we would like to achieve:
    high torque (300Nm) --> low speed (at least 300-500rpm, can be higher)
    low torque (50Nm) --> high speed (at least 500-1000rpm, can be higher)
    In both cases, the speed (rpm) should be as high as possible.

Does anyone know how to do the calculation? :confused: So that we can select a suitable pump and motor combination for our design. :rofl:

I really don't know how to do it, please kindly help me! :cry:

Thank you very much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You begin by matching the electric power, 22 Kw.

Then survey different hydraulic pump/motor combinations of about rating or less. There are things other than RPM and torque to consider. There is power efficiency, operating temperature, starting torque and more.

As an educational project you should not take any risks. For that reason you will restrict pressures to about 2000 psi =13.8 MPa.
From that you can work out the flow rate. Power = flow rate * pressure.
22 kW / 13.8 MPa = 0.0015942 m3/sec =1.5942 litre/sec.

At 3500 RPM you have 3500 / 60 = 58.3 revs per second.
A positive displacement pump capacity will be 1.5942 litre / 58.3 revs = 27.3 cc per rev.
Now you can select a pump based on capacity.

But you must decide how you will control the speed or acceleration of the vehicle. Will you use a variable flow pump and/or bent axis variable speed motors?

Will you run your hydraulic wheel motors in parallel, which has 4 times the flow and equal torque (like a differential), or in series, which will give equal speed ( like four wheel drive) ? Will you switch between various combinations? That will decide the capacity of the motors you use.

Hydraulic transmissions are not used in road motor vehicles because they are inefficient when compared to mechanical gearboxes. Some hydraulic 4WD off-road or earth-moving vehicles may be economic. Assume 60% hydraulic efficiency which means you must dispose of 0.4 * 22kW = 8.8kW. You will need a large oil cooler to keep the fluid temperature down.

• Informative
Likes anorlunda

What is a hydraulic pump and motor and how do they work?

A hydraulic pump and motor are key components in a hydraulic system. The pump is responsible for converting mechanical power into hydraulic power by creating a flow of fluid. This fluid is then used to power the motor, which converts hydraulic power back into mechanical power to drive a load. Essentially, the pump and motor work together to create a continuous flow of fluid that powers the system.

How do I determine the required flow rate and pressure for my hydraulic pump and motor?

The required flow rate and pressure for a hydraulic pump and motor will depend on the specific application and the load it needs to drive. To determine these values, you will need to calculate the amount of force required to move the load and the speed at which it needs to move. This information can then be used to select a pump and motor with the appropriate flow rate and pressure capabilities.

What factors should I consider when choosing a hydraulic pump and motor for my class project?

When selecting a hydraulic pump and motor for your class project, you should consider the required flow rate and pressure, the size and weight of the components, the type of fluid being used, and the efficiency and reliability of the pump and motor. It is also important to consider the cost and availability of the components, as well as any safety requirements for your project.

What are the different types of hydraulic pumps and motors available?

There are several types of hydraulic pumps and motors, including gear pumps, vane pumps, piston pumps, and radial piston motors, to name a few. Each type has its own unique design and features, and is suitable for different applications. It is important to research and understand the different types in order to choose the best option for your specific project needs.

How can I ensure the proper installation and maintenance of my hydraulic pump and motor for my class project?

Proper installation and maintenance of a hydraulic pump and motor are crucial for its performance and longevity. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and regularly inspect and maintain the components to ensure they are working properly. It is also important to use the recommended fluids and to monitor the system for any leaks or issues that may arise.