Counting Distinct Poker Hands with Specific Criteria

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of distinct poker hands that can be dealt containing two pairs, a flush, a straight flush, and a royal flush. The solution involves using the fundamental principles of counting and simplifying the problem by considering the number of choices for each type of card. The method for determining the number of pairs is explained, but the speaker also asks for assistance in finding a shorter method.
WiFO215

Homework Statement

A poker hand contains five cards dealt from a deck of 52. How many distinct poker hands can be dealt containing:
a) two pairs (for example 2 kings, 2 aces, and a 3)
b) a flush (five cards in a given suit)
c) a straight flush (any five in sequence in a given suit, but not including ten, jack, queen, king, ace)
d) a royal flush (ten, jack, queen, king, ace in a single suit)

The Attempt at a Solution

Essentially, I am asked to form distinct 5 tuples with certain criteria.

a) I've made a tree. Please tell me if there is a simpler way. Each (dot) on the tree tells you how many choices you can make at that given point. Whenever the tree branches, it goes into the various choices you can make.

For the other solutions also, I've made similar trees, but I feel this a long way. Does anyone have any other shorter methods?

Attachments

• Tree.jpg
    Tree.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 337
Physics news on Phys.org
For a), simplify the problem first, then use the fundamental principles of counting. How many hands are there with two kings? How many with two like cards of any type?

There are 4 choices for the first king and 3 for the second. Totally 12 choices for each pair. Right? And since there are 13 types of cards, I can form 13.12 pairs of cards. Is this correct? For forming a second pair, Now that one has gone, we have 12 types unused and one pair that has been used. So altogether we have 12.12 + 2 ways of forming the second pair. Adding this to the old amount, we have 25.12 + 2 ways of forming the hand. Is this correct?

Can anyone assist please?

1. What is Combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects. It involves the study of combinations, permutations, and other ways of organizing objects or events.

2. What are some real-world applications of Combinatorics?

Combinatorics has a wide range of applications in various fields such as computer science, engineering, economics, biology, and statistics. Some examples include designing efficient computer algorithms, analyzing DNA sequences, and predicting stock market trends.

3. What are the main challenges in solving problems in Combinatorics?

The main challenges in solving problems in Combinatorics include identifying the correct counting techniques, dealing with large numbers, and finding efficient ways to organize and represent the problem.

4. How can one improve their problem-solving skills in Combinatorics?

One can improve their problem-solving skills in Combinatorics by practicing problems, understanding the underlying principles and techniques, and seeking help from experienced mathematicians or teachers.

5. What are some common misconceptions about Combinatorics?

Some common misconceptions about Combinatorics include thinking that it is only applicable to abstract mathematical problems and that it is only useful for advanced mathematicians. In reality, Combinatorics has practical applications and can be understood by anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics.