Question about the forming of heavy elements.

• Thread starter MrModesty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, lighter elements have been created in labs through types of radioactive decay, such as alpha and beta decay. This is achieved by altering existing elements to produce heavier or lighter isotopes, but not creating completely new elements. However, Technetium is an example of an artificially created element that did not exist before. All elements above 92 have been created in a lab.
MrModesty
I know that I'm told that the heaviest elements can only be created in massive supernovae. Is this just theory, or have we created, in labs, lighter elements in scaled down collisions/explosions?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not too sure on the details of theory, but yes, "we" have created heavier elements. These lighter or heavier elements are formed through types of radioactive decay such as [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] decay. Just a situation where there are not enough neutrons, too many neutrons, too little protons. Generally [tex]\alpha[/tex] decay occurs when there are too many protons, and [tex]\beta[/tex] decay when there are too many neutrons. This is induced of course. Some examples : fission of U-235 produces a source of neutrons, which are then bombarded into other elements to create heavier isotopes. Like Cobalt-60, Iodine-123, Strontium-90.

As far as I know we can't actually "create" these new heavier or lighter elements. We just slightly alter existing ones and call them isotopes. And that too elements very, very close to each other. I don't know if we can actually just "create" something.

Hope that helped.

Here is an example:

1.) [tex]^{238}_{92}U+ ^{1}_{0}n\xrightarrow~ ^{239}_{92}U[/tex]

2.) [tex]^{239}_{92}U\xrightarrow~ ^{239}_{93}Np+ ^{0}_ {-1}e[/tex]

3.) [tex]^{239}_{93}Np\xrightarrow~ + ^{239}_{94}Pu + ^{0}_{-1}e[/tex]

Last edited:
We created Technetium. It didn't exist before we made it. It's also the only artificial element lighter than lead.

we're talking about HEAVIER elements, though

sigmavirus said:
we're talking about HEAVIER elements, though

The OP did mention lighter elements as well.

Also, every element above 92 was created in a lab.

Lazy said:
The OP did mention lighter elements as well.

oh i see. sorry.

1. How are heavy elements formed?

Heavy elements are primarily formed through nuclear fusion processes in the cores of stars. This occurs when lighter elements, such as hydrogen and helium, undergo fusion reactions and combine to form heavier elements.

2. Can heavy elements be formed in other ways?

Yes, heavy elements can also be formed through neutron capture, which is the process of capturing neutrons to form heavier isotopes of an element. This can occur through various processes, such as supernova explosions or in the cores of neutron stars.

3. Do all stars produce heavy elements?

No, not all stars produce heavy elements. Only stars with enough mass and temperature, such as red giant and supergiant stars, have the necessary conditions for heavy element formation through fusion reactions.

4. How do we know about the formation of heavy elements?

Scientists study the spectra of stars and other cosmic objects to determine the chemical composition and abundance of elements. This, combined with theoretical models and observations from astronomical events, helps us understand the processes involved in the formation of heavy elements.

5. What is the role of heavy elements in the universe?

Heavy elements play a crucial role in the universe as they are the building blocks of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies. They also play a role in the evolution of stars and the chemical composition of galaxies. Additionally, heavy elements are essential for the formation of life as we know it.