Preparing for College Math: Tips and Resources

In summary, the speaker is a recent high school graduate who is planning to enroll in college in Fall 2010. They are looking for recommendations on how to effectively prepare for first-year college-level mathematics, particularly in calculus and pure mathematics, in the next eight months. They have a strong background in AP Calculus BC and some other mathematics topics, but are lacking experience in proofs. They are seeking advice on books, methods, websites, and habits to help them excel in their college math classes. Some suggestions include looking at their college's website for course outlines and notes, purchasing a first-year calculus textbook, and practicing end-of-chapter problems. The speaker is not too worried about the transition and believes that with a strong foundation, they will
srinathreddy
Hi folks. I'm entirely new to this forum, so I hope I'm asking this question at the right place. I'm a recent high school graduate waiting to enroll in college in Fall 2010. In general, I'm free for the majority of the next eight months.

I hope to spend this time effectively transitioning into collegiate-level mathematics. In particular, I hope to be prepared for first-year theoretical developments of calculus (for a reference, see the honors calculus programs at http://math.uchicago.edu/~ershov/16100/" ) and for some degree of study in pure mathematics. My major will not be in mathematics and likewise, I don't wish to study mathematics because I want to become a mathematician or anything like that. I just hope to develop my logical thinking skills while learning enough math to supplement my course of study.

My preparation thus far has been a relatively standard high school sequence. I've done AP Calculus BC, some complex numbers and some game theory. However, I've had very little experience with proofs and such. So I'm here to borrow from the collective wisdom of those who've managed to bridge that gap at some point in their education. What books/methods/websites/habits would you recommend so that I will be able to perform consistently well in college math classes? KIV that I have 8 months to get all of it down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you know which school you are attending, there might be a way to figure out which books are used in the math courses you plan to take. If you can figure out which books are used you should be able to purchase them on Amazon or some other online book store.

If you are not interested any particular class, then there are some good books in general that help prep for for mathematical thinking and proof, something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471680583/?tag=pfamazon01-20 might be helpful.

And finally there are plenty of mathematical websites, you might want to start with your college's website. Most professors will have course outlines and notes available that you can download and browse.

I wouldn't stress too much over it. You will have plenty of time to transition, and most people if there fundamentals are sound do well in beginning to write proofs.

Last edited by a moderator:
just find a first year calculus book. In general first year calculus ( as well as physics/chemistry) books are very accessible and good for self study. Make sure you study the ~70% percent of the end of chapter problems with answers. In fact, I got the top letter grade in the calculus course mainly due to solving end chapter problems. Make sure you assign lots of time and digest the first few chapters throughly. The rest will be easy. Don't waste your time with lecture notes etc. Just buy a nice textbook. First year college books are awesome!

1. What is the difference between high school math and college math?

College math courses often cover more advanced topics and require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. Additionally, the pace of college math courses is usually faster and there is a greater emphasis on independent learning and problem-solving.

2. How can I prepare for college math courses?

One way to prepare for college math is to review and strengthen your foundational math skills, such as algebra and trigonometry. It can also be helpful to practice solving problems independently and to familiarize yourself with the format and expectations of college math courses.

3. What are some common challenges students face when transitioning to college math?

Some common challenges include adjusting to the faster pace and higher level of difficulty, as well as managing the workload and time management. Many students also struggle with the transition from having a teacher guide them through problem-solving to having to solve problems independently.

4. Are there any resources or support available for students struggling with college math?

Most colleges offer tutoring services, study groups, and resources such as math labs to help students with their math courses. It is also helpful to communicate with your professor and ask for clarification or extra help when needed.

5. How can I be successful in college math courses?

To be successful in college math, it is important to attend all classes, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class. Regular practice and review of material is also crucial, as well as seeking help and clarification when needed. Time management and staying organized can also greatly contribute to success in college math courses.