Why is stamping of plans illegal?

• Thread starter bigislander72
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the legality of "stamping" plans in the construction industry. The question is raised as to why stamped plans, which have been reviewed and approved by a licensed PE, would be considered illegal if the work was not done "in house". It is argued that as long as the plans pass all applicable codes, there should not be an issue. The question arises as to what exactly constitutes "under my supervision" in the PE disclaimer, as the code authority assumes that a PE's involvement in the design process would result in a better review or understanding.
bigislander72
Why is "stamping" of plans illegal?

I don't understand this. If plans are reviewed and approved by a licensed PE, what's the problem if they were not done "in house"? If the PE has the authority to make changes as neccesary, why not?

I ask this because much of the design work in my field(construction industry) could be performed by someone not licensed. If the stamped plans pass all applicable codes what is the problem?

I guess my question is what defines "under my supervision" in the PE disclaimer.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

The reason for that is that the code authority assumes that if a PE is involved in the design process, they will be more inclined to review it or understand it better.

I am not qualified to provide legal advice or interpretation of laws. However, I can speak to the reasons why stamping of plans may be illegal.

The main purpose of stamping plans is to verify that they have been reviewed and approved by a licensed professional engineer (PE) who is responsible for ensuring that the plans meet all necessary codes and regulations. This is important for ensuring the safety and integrity of structures and projects.

If someone who is not a licensed PE were to stamp plans, they would not have the necessary expertise or authority to ensure that the plans comply with all applicable codes and regulations. This could potentially lead to unsafe or non-compliant structures, putting the public at risk.

Furthermore, stamping plans without proper review and oversight goes against the ethical and professional standards of the engineering community. It undermines the credibility of the profession and can result in legal consequences for both the individual who stamped the plans and the company they work for.

In short, the stamping of plans is illegal because it is a way to ensure that only qualified and licensed professionals are responsible for the design and construction of structures, and to protect the public from potential harm.

1. Why is stamping of plans illegal?

Stamping of plans is illegal because it involves the unauthorized use of a professional engineer or architect's stamp on a document. This stamp is a symbol of approval and certification that the plans meet certain standards and regulations set by the governing body. Using a stamp without proper authorization can lead to false representation and potential safety hazards.

2. What are the consequences of stamping plans illegally?

The consequences of stamping plans illegally can vary depending on the severity of the offense and the governing body's regulations. It can result in legal actions, fines, and penalties for both the person using the stamp and the professional whose stamp was used without authorization. Moreover, it can also lead to project delays, financial losses, and compromised safety standards.

3. Who is responsible for ensuring that plans are properly stamped?

The responsibility of ensuring that plans are properly stamped falls on the professional engineer or architect who is authorized to use the stamp. They are responsible for reviewing and approving the plans, as well as providing their stamp as a symbol of certification. It is also the responsibility of the person submitting the plans to ensure that they are properly stamped before using them for any construction or project.

4. Can stamping of plans be done by anyone?

No, stamping of plans can only be done by a licensed professional engineer or architect who is authorized by the governing body. This is to ensure that the plans meet all necessary standards and regulations and that the stamp is used appropriately. Using a stamp without proper authorization is considered illegal and can lead to severe consequences.

5. Are there any exceptions to stamping plans?

There may be certain exceptions to stamping plans depending on the governing body's regulations and the type of project. For example, small-scale projects or minor alterations may not require a professional engineer or architect's stamp. However, it is always best to consult with the governing body and ensure that all necessary requirements are met before proceeding with any project.