What am I missing in the derivation of Landé g factor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Landé g factor and its relation to the quantum numbers \vec{J}, \vec{L}, and \vec{S}. The confusion arises from using the vectors and operators interchangeably and not properly understanding their relationships. The correct equations are provided and the issue is resolved.
Otterhoofd

Homework Statement

I was looking the calculation of Landé g factor. It starts with

[tex]\mu=-\frac{e}{2m_{e}} (\vec{L}+2\vec{S})[/tex] assuming that g of electron =2

The lecture notes then proceed by calculating [tex]g=1+\frac{J(J+1)+S(S+1)-L(L+1)}{2J(J+1)}[/tex] using the cosine rule.

Homework Equations

the second equation is
[tex]\mu=-\frac{e}{2m_{e}} (\vec{J}+\vec{S}) [/tex] using [tex]\vec{L}=\vec{J}-\vec{S}[/tex]

which is, i think, just applying the third hund's rule J=L+S
However, the third Hund's rule also states that for less than half filled
[tex]J=\left|L-S\right|[/tex]

This then does not give the well known solution posted above. What am i doing wrong? The rest of the calculation is perfectly clear to me, I just don't get the step from
[tex]\mu=-\frac{e}{2m_{e}} (\vec{L}+2\vec{S})[/tex] to [tex]\mu=-\frac{e}{2m_{e}} (\vec{J}+\vec{S}) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried various vector equations, but no luck. Please help me, I'm really stuck. I hope and think there is a simple solution! thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\vec{J}[/tex], [tex]\vec{L}[/tex], and [tex]\vec{S}[/tex] are angular momentum vectors. They're not the same as the quantum numbers j, l, and s. The vector and corresponding quantum number are related by

[tex]\vec{J}^2 = j(j+1)\hbar^2[/tex]

with analogous relationships for [tex]\vec{L}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{S}[/tex].

[tex]\vec{J}[/tex] is the total angular momentum of the electron, which is just the sum of the orbital angular momentum [tex]\vec{L}[/tex] and its spin [tex]\vec{S}[/tex].

vela said:
The vector and corresponding quantum number are related by

[tex]\vec{J}^2 = j(j+1)\hbar^2[/tex]

with analogous relationships for [tex]\vec{L}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{S}[/tex].

Not really. The relationship is actually

[tex]
\vec{J}^2|j,m\rangle=j(j+1)\hbar^2|j,m\rangle
[/tex]

and similarly for [itex]\vec{L}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{S}[/itex]. Recall that they are operators and you need to operate them on something to get the quantum numbers.

jdwood983 said:
Not really. The relationship is actually

[tex]
\vec{J}^2|j,m\rangle=j(j+1)\hbar^2|j,m\rangle
[/tex]

and similarly for [itex]\vec{L}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{S}[/itex]. Recall that they are operators and you need to operate them on something to get the quantum numbers.
D'oh! Yes, you're right of course. I was sloppy.

Thanks, i already thought this had to be the case. Explanation in my lecture notes is a bit sloppy I think.

Thanks for your explanation, everything is clear to me again!

1. What is the Landé g factor?

The Landé g factor, also known as the Landé splitting factor, is a dimensionless quantity that describes the relationship between the magnetic moment and the angular momentum of an atom or particle.

2. How is the Landé g factor calculated?

The Landé g factor can be calculated using the formula g = (J+1)/J, where J is the total angular momentum of the atom or particle.

3. What is the significance of the Landé g factor?

The Landé g factor is significant because it provides information about the energy levels and transitions of atoms or particles in a magnetic field. It also helps in understanding the behavior of these systems in the presence of a magnetic field.

4. Can the Landé g factor vary for different atoms or particles?

Yes, the Landé g factor can vary for different atoms or particles depending on their properties such as spin, charge, and mass. This factor is unique to each atom or particle, and can be used to identify and differentiate them.

5. How is the Landé g factor derivation derived?

The Landé g factor derivation involves using quantum mechanics principles to calculate the energy levels and transition probabilities of atoms or particles in a magnetic field. This involves solving the Schrödinger equation and considering the spin, orbital, and magnetic quantum numbers of the system.