Question for Mathematicians and Physicists

• Thread starter Dmitry67
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where one person's consciousness has magically transferred into someone else's body. The person wants to keep their job and pretends to be a Mathematician or Physicist by avoiding direct answers and giving vague responses. The length of time they can maintain this facade depends on their position, either as a tenured professor or a researcher at a national lab. It is noted that an MIT Dean of Admissions was able to keep up this charade for 28 years, even though they were only a high school graduate.
Dmitry67
Say, my consciousness had magically moved to your body. I am a layman. But I want to get your salary as long as possible. So, I try to behave normally without attracting too much attention. When being asked about my work, I say something “I am writing new article, I will publish it soon”. When I am asked about technical stuff I reply “Yes, it is very interesting, I will review it”. Without saying Yes and No, I try to pretend that I am Mathematician or Physicist doing absolutely nothing.

Question: How long I will be able to keep it before I get fired?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends if you are in a body of a tenured professor or an every day researcher at a national lab. If you recall, an MIT Dean of Admissions claimed to have multiple degees (undergrad, grad) for 28 years, whereas being a mere high school graduate.

1. What is the difference between mathematics and physics?

Mathematics is the study of abstract concepts and structures, while physics is the study of the natural world and its properties. Mathematics is often used as a tool for understanding and describing physical phenomena, but it is also a discipline in its own right with its own set of rules and principles.

2. Why are mathematics and physics often considered to be closely related?

Mathematics and physics have a long history of collaboration and mutual influence. Many concepts and principles in physics can be described and analyzed using mathematical equations and models, and advances in mathematics have often led to new discoveries and theories in physics.

3. What are the main branches of mathematics and physics?

The main branches of mathematics include algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics. The main branches of physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics.

4. How do mathematicians and physicists approach problem-solving differently?

Mathematicians often use deductive reasoning and logical proofs to solve problems, while physicists often use a combination of mathematical models and experimental data to understand and explain natural phenomena. However, both disciplines require creativity and critical thinking skills.

5. How do mathematics and physics contribute to other fields of study?

Mathematics and physics have many applications in other fields, such as engineering, computer science, economics, and biology. The tools and principles developed in mathematics and physics can be used to solve problems and make advancements in these and other disciplines.