Q in permutations and Combinations

In summary, permutations and combinations are both ways of arranging or selecting items from a set, but permutations take into account the order while combinations do not. The formula for calculating permutations is n! / (n-r)! and they are important in probability for calculating the likelihood of specific outcomes. The order of items in a permutation can be changed, but the specific items must remain the same. In real-world applications, combinations are often used when order does not matter, while permutations are used when order does matter.
r-soy
Q in permutations and Combinations

Out of a standerd 52 - card deck . how many 6-card will hearts and 2 clube ?

my answer :

13 C 4 X 13 C 2

= 715 X 78 = 55.770

this is my answer please help me ...

Physics news on Phys.org
where are you I want help please

1. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations both involve arranging or selecting items from a set, but the main difference is that permutations take into account the order in which the items are arranged, while combinations do not. In other words, permutations are arrangements, while combinations are selections.

2. How do I calculate the number of possible permutations?

The formula for calculating the number of permutations is n! / (n-r)!, where n represents the total number of items in the set and r represents the number of items being selected. For example, if you have 8 items in a set and want to select 3 of them, the number of permutations would be 8! / (8-3)! = 8! / 5! = 8x7x6 = 336.

3. Why are permutations important in probability?

Permutations are important in probability because they help us calculate the likelihood of a specific outcome occurring when multiple events are involved. For example, in a lottery with 6 numbers, the number of permutations of 6 numbers out of a set of 6 would be 6! = 720, meaning there are 720 possible combinations that could be drawn. This information can help players make informed decisions when playing games of chance.

4. Can the order of items in a permutation be changed?

Yes, the order of items in a permutation can be changed. For example, the permutation ABC can also be written as BAC, CBA, or any other combination of the same three items. However, the specific items in the permutation must remain the same.

5. How do combinations differ from permutations in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, combinations are often used to represent situations where the order of items does not matter. For example, choosing toppings for a pizza or a committee of people for a project. On the other hand, permutations are used when the order of items does matter, such as choosing the order of songs in a playlist or the order of competitors in a race.