Someone explain why my heartbeat is SO. SLOW.

• Medical
  • Thread starter GreatEscapist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation was about heart rate and its normal range for adults, the effects of exercise and asthma on heart rate, and personal experiences with heart rate and cardiac issues. The participants discussed the importance of consulting a doctor for any concerns about heart rate and shared their own heart rates and exercise routines. It was mentioned that a resting heart rate between 60-100 bpm is considered normal for adults and a lower heart rate can indicate better cardiovascular fitness. The conversation also touched on the topic of skipping beats and the need for a cardiac stress test.
GreatEscapist
My heartbeat is usually between 40-50. Anything in the 60's is high. When I exercise it can get to 90, but I have asthma, so i can't really exercise easily above that.

I'm not athletic. (Why the hell would I be on this kind of forum if I was?)
I'm not the most fit. (Slender, but I can't run the mile in five minutes)
My mom's heartbeat is slow, too. Is that why?

Just curious for input.

Biology news on Phys.org
How fast is your spaceship moving relative to Earth?

Seriously, you should ask your doctor.

GreatEscapist said:
My heartbeat is usually between 40-50. Anything in the 60's is high. When I exercise it can get to 90, but I have asthma, so i can't really exercise easily above that.

I'm not the most fit. (Slender, but I can't run the mile in five minutes)
My mom's heartbeat is slow, too. Is that why?

Just curious for input.
Sounds a bit low, if you are concerned, check with your doctor.

For an adult, a normal resting heart rate ranges from 60 to 100 beats per minute (bpm). For a well-trained athlete, a normal resting heart rate may be as low as 40 to 60 bpm. In healthy adults, a lower heart rate at rest generally implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-rate/an01906

GreatEscapist said:

Really ? I mean, really ?

I'm not a medical doctor, so I can't answer your question. I've know many great runners born with naturally low heartbeats.

Wow, you're not athletic, have asthma and can't exercise at over 90 bpm, but you can run a 5 minute mile.

For the record, there are many athletic people here. Many believe in soundness of both mind and body: at least to the extent possible with age and ailments.

Evo said:
Sounds a bit low, if you are concerned, check with your doctor.

or an adult, a normal resting heart rate ranges from 60 to 100 beats per minute (bpm). For a well-trained athlete, a normal resting heart rate may be as low as 40 to 60 bpm. In healthy adults, a lower heart rate at rest generally implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-rate/an01906
It goes as low as 32-35 in some elite level endurance athletes.

stevenb said:
Wow, you're not athletic, have asthma and can't exercise at over 90 bpm, but you can run a 5 minute mile.

Actually, he said he can't run a five minute mile.

DaveC426913 said:
Actually, he said he can't run a five minute mile.

Oops, I guess that makes more sense. For a minute I thought he was a born runner, cursed with asthma which was holding him back from olympic medals.

You can check your general physical health with your doctor. Definitely see a doctor when there are signs that your heart rate is not sufficient, such as when you experiencing fatigue or dizziness.

Wow. I've been sitting at the computer for a couple hours and just checked mine. It's 84. Maybe my heart will explode soon.

zoobyshoe said:
Wow. I've been sitting at the computer for a couple hours and just checked mine. It's 84. Maybe my heart will explode soon.

Run, Zooby ! Run !

zoobyshoe said:
A heart rate in rest of 60-100/min is absolutely normal.

zoobyshoe said:

:rofl: that just kills me... no offense to the OP.

Given that low HR, and asthma you should consult your physician. There are many causes for this, often benign, but there is no way to diagnose that over the internet. See a doctor, please.

Monique said:
You can check your general physical health with your doctor. Definitely see a doctor when there are signs that your heart rate is not sufficient, such as when you experiencing fatigue or dizziness.

:frown: I thought that my dizziness and fatigue was due to lack of fitness (damn mile), asthma (damn oxygen), and all that.

Is there something actually potentially wrong?

*goes through the whole story*

I had to wear a heart monitor when i was 13, because I had severe, seemingly random heart pain. I couldn't breathe, and my heart was beating all funny, so I wore a heart monitor. I pressed a button when I felt pain, and it took an EKG. I don't remember what ended up being wrong with me- some valve backflow problems. It wasn't really life-threatening.

My heart still beats weird after physical activity. It skips a beat, then beats three. It's strange.

*sighs* Stupid, stupid, stupid cardiac muscle.

---

zooby, I approve of your message. Everything you say is truth. *nods*

GreatEscapist said:
My heart still beats weird after physical activity. It skips a beat, then beats three. It's strange.

Well there's your answer.

Your heartbeat is really a normal 80-100, it's just skipping every second beat.

:grinnies:

DaveC426913 said:
Well there's your answer.

Your heartbeat is really a normal 80-100, it's just skipping every second beat.

:grinnies:

:tongue: That's just after physical activity. It's normal otherwise.

Trust me. Everytime I go to the doctor to explain to them MY HEART DOES NOT BEAT NORMALLY, they listen and tell me I'm fine. :grumpy:

GreatEscapist said:
:tongue: That's just after physical activity. It's normal otherwise.

Trust me. Everytime I go to the doctor to explain to them MY HEART DOES NOT BEAT NORMALLY, they listen and tell me I'm fine. :grumpy:

Have you taken a cardiac stress test?

Last edited by a moderator:
Geigerclick said:
Have you taken a cardiac stress test?

Nope. They found nothing wrong with my heart at rest, so they found no need to test it stressed. Even though I suggested it. -_-

Now I know the problem. You've got a girly heart.

DaveC426913 said:
Now I know the problem. You've got a girly heart.

:rofl: Genius. Just genius.

Where would I be without you, Dave? :tongue:

Are you using anti-allergic medicines like anti-histamines? They can lower the heart rate. I had a bad experience with such medicines a long time ago. My heart rate dropped to 36 bpm at times. This was at a time when I was less fit than I'm now, my resting heart rate would be close to 50 bpm then.

Especially after light exercise, my hart rate woud drop way to fast and I would be very dizzy almost to the point of fainting. I stopped using these medicines after a few days, but it took me more than a week to fully recover.

GreatEscapist said:
Nope. They found nothing wrong with my heart at rest, so they found no need to test it stressed. Even though I suggested it. -_-

I recommend going to another doctor. I don't mean to cast dispersions on medical doctors in general. Most are quite good and I owe my life to more than one of them. Still, some doctors don't follow the best practices. As an example, it took 3 months for me to be diagnosed with a kidney disease even though I went to the doctor 2 times a week with complaints. They assumed I was just a complainer and did some tests reluctantly (including the cardiac stress test that has been denied you). Eventually, I got a paniced call from the doctor to come in. They finally got around to testing my urine which showed 20 grams of protein excreted per day when the normal amount is 200 mg. This was a clear sign of kidney trouble. When I got to the kidney doctor he took my blood pressure and it was 185/120. He was in disbelief that it took the other doctor 3 months to figure this out. It then occurred to me that the previous doctor never even took my blood pressure. - Not once in about 20 visits. Don't mess around with incompetence. It can kill you.

Last edited:
stevenb said:
I recommend going to another doctor. I don't mean to cast dispersions on medical doctors in general. Most are quite good and I owe my life to more than one of them. Still, some doctors don't follow the best practices. As an example, it took 3 months for me to be diagnosed with a kidney disease even though I went to the doctor 2 times a week with complaints. They assumed I was just a complainer and did some tests reluctantly (including the cardiac stress test that has been denied you). Eventually, I got a paniced call from the doctor to come in. They finally got around to testing my urine which showed 20 grams of protein excreted per day when the normal amount is 200 mg. This was a clear sign of kidney trouble. When I got to the kidney doctor he took my blood pressure and it was 185/120. He was in disbelief that it took the other doctor 3 months to figure this out. It then occurred to me that the previous doctor never even took my blood pressure. - Not once in about 20 visits. Don't mess around with incompetence. It can kill you.

You're describing gross negligence. May I ask what country do you live in?

EDIT: Nevermind. I read your public profile. If you haven't already, you should report this to your local medical society and seek legal council. This kind of "medical practice" needs to be stopped. A diastolic (lower number) blood pressure of 120 is a hypertensive emergency.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
You're describing gross negligence. May I ask what country do you live in?

USA.

I agree this was very negligent, and the doctor involved clearly realized this, at least judging from the look on his face that last time I talked to him.

Fortunately, my kidney doctor felt that the delay in diagnosis did not cause me additional long term harm. At the time I was a well trained athlete in my 20s. If I had I been older I might have suffered a stroke with blood pressure that high for 3 months.

Since there was no real harm, I didn't try to take any action, and even if I had wanted to do something on principle, I was in a serious battle to regain my health at that point. Thanks to my new doctor, my disease is under perfect control for 18 years now, and I'm very thankful. According to the stastics given to me back then, my disease normally produces kidney failure in 50 % people at 5 years and 80 % in 10 years. With new medicines and sensible doctors guidance, my kidney function is well in the normal range, and in recent years even the daily urine protein is below 300 mg. Hence, I have no complaints against the USA medical treatments in general. When it is good, it is really outstanding. However, incompetence lurks everywhere and I recommend to the OP to be on his (EDIT: so sorry ... HER) guard.

Last edited:
stevenb said:
USA.

I agree this was very negligent, and the doctor involved clearly realized this, at least judging from the look on his face that last time I talked to him.

Fortunately, my kidney doctor felt that the delay in diagnosis did not cause me additional long term harm. At the time I was a well trained athlete in my 20s. If I had I been older I might have suffered a stroke with blood pressure that high for 3 months.

Since there was no real harm, I didn't try to take any action, and even if I had wanted to do something on principle, I was in a serious battle to regain my health at that point. Thanks to my new doctor, my disease is under perfect control for 18 years now, and I'm very thankful. According to the stastics given to me back then, my disease normally produces kidney failure in 50 % people at 5 years and 80 % in 10 years. With new medicines and sensible doctors guidance, my kidney function is well in the normal range, and in recent years even the daily urine protein is below 300 mg. Hence, I have no complaints against the USA medical treatments in general. When it is good, it is really outstanding. However, incompetence lurks everywhere and I recommend to the OP to be on his guard.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well. My point, however, is that if action isn't taken against genuine gross negligence, the practitioner will go on to injure other patients. I can't imagine not having your blood pressure taken at least once in twenty visits to a competent medical practice!

GreatEscapist said:

Demand it, or see another physician for a second opinion. Never take risks with the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, or CSF/Brain.

SW VandeCarr said:
My point, however, is that if action isn't taken against genuine gross negligence, the practitioner will go on to injure other patients.

There is no doubt about that being a concern, and I did struggle with that issue ethically. It can be very difficult to fight these cases, especially when there is no damage. The doctor can just say, my operating procedures broke down and now I've fixed it. The most effective action, to have a real effect, is to start a law suit, but as a grad student, attorney fees were not an option. If I had suffered real damage then some lawyer would have taken the case for free, in order to collect 1/3 of the damage money at the end, but again that wasn't an option since I had no damage. So, as a grad student in a life struggle with no money, no energy, a crushed spirit, a PhD dissertation to finish and an uphill battle for medical recovery, I had to just focus on positive things for myself. It took 2 years to become reasonably healthy again. Fortunately, everything worked out and I am better for the experience.

My best hope is that the doctor learned his lesson and made some changes. I can't even describe the panic in his voice and the look of terror on his face, along with tears in his eyes. I think, for legal reasons, he couldn't actually say an apology and admit to the mistakes, but he conveyed that message nonverbally. That was enough to let me sleep at night, ... barely.

Anyway, trying to stay on topic here for the OP's sake, I'll echo Geigerclick's statement to get a second opinion. That was my mistake. I give myself credit for being persistent in pushing my first doctor to do more and more tests, which did eventually lead to a diagnosis, but I could have saved myself a lot of grief simply by going to someone else.

Last edited:
stevenb said:
My best hope is that the doctor learned his lesson and made some changes. I can't even describe the panic in his voice and the look of terror on his face. I think, for legal reasons, he couldn't actually say an apology and admit to the mistakes, but he conveyed that message nonverbally. That was enough to let me sleep at night, ... barely.

I see your point. Nevertheless, it would be worthwhile IMO to check with the state medical board to see if any complaints have been lodged against this practitioner. It still may not be too late to lodge a complaint of your own if he has had other significant complaints lodged against him..

Last edited:
:frown:

That's awful. I can't believe that somebody would do something like that.
Stupid doctors. It seems like a lot of them don't care about you until they have to save their ***.

Sometimes low rates of heartbeats can be caused by dehydration (thickening of the blood). High hemocrit levels are not safe.

Another possibility is a low metabolism.

Of course it's also possible that the heart is just more efficient than most (one does not need to be athletic to have a good heart).

My heart rate is 44 bpm right now. I did heavy exercise this afternoon: 30 minutes of fast running. And I just did some arm and leg muscle exercises.

Xnn said:
Sometimes low rates of heartbeats can be caused by dehydration (thickening of the blood). High hemocrit levels are not safe.

Well, that could be part of it, actually. I am somewhat chronically dehydrated.

I doubt it's low metabolism. I don't really do much to exercise, I eat decently, and yet I'm still slender. :tongue:

1. Why is my heartbeat so slow?

There are several possible reasons for a slow heartbeat, including certain medications, underlying medical conditions, and a naturally low resting heart rate. It is important to consult with a doctor to determine the cause and any necessary treatment.

2. Is a slow heartbeat dangerous?

In some cases, a slow heartbeat can be a sign of a serious underlying condition. However, a slow heartbeat can also be a normal variation in some individuals. It is important to consult with a doctor to determine the cause and any necessary treatment.

3. Can stress cause a slow heartbeat?

Stress can cause changes in heart rate, but it is more likely to cause a faster heartbeat rather than a slower one. If you are experiencing a consistently slow heartbeat, it is important to consult with a doctor to determine the cause.

4. How can I increase my heartbeat if it is too slow?

If your slow heartbeat is caused by an underlying medical condition, your doctor may prescribe medication or recommend other treatments to increase your heart rate. In some cases, lifestyle changes such as regular exercise and a healthy diet can also help improve heart rate.

5. Can a slow heartbeat be a sign of a heart attack?

In some cases, a slow heartbeat can be a symptom of a heart attack. However, it is more common for a heart attack to cause a fast or irregular heartbeat. If you are experiencing chest pain or other symptoms of a heart attack, seek immediate medical attention.