Using LaTeX with Non-English Languages

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter kronecker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, LaTeX supports a wide range of languages, including those that use non-Latin characters. To write documents in these languages, specific packages and fonts can be used. The language of a document can be changed by specifying it in the document class declaration with the "babel" package. There are also specific commands for typesetting non-English languages, and LaTeX can handle languages written from right to left with the "bidi" package.
kronecker
how can i used latex with languages besides English ?
i don't know what to do becuase it seems not to work with others but English.

Thanks in advance, LOL

Physics news on Phys.org
What language?

What language are you trying to get working with Latex?

LaTeX should support any language with a roman or greek alphabet, since it includes all of those characters. I don't know about any support for asian languages, though.

- Warren

I want to use Arabian

kronecker said:
I want to use Arabian
http://leb.net/arabtex/

Might be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What languages are supported by LaTeX?

LaTeX supports a wide range of languages, including English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, and many more. It also allows for the creation of custom language packages.

2. Can I write documents in languages that use non-Latin characters?

Yes, LaTeX is capable of handling non-Latin characters and scripts, such as Arabic, Cyrillic, and Greek. This can be done by using specific packages and fonts.

3. How do I change the language of my document in LaTeX?

To change the language of a document in LaTeX, you need to specify the language in the document class declaration using the "babel" package. You can also use the "polyglossia" package for more advanced language settings.

4. Are there any specific commands for typesetting non-English languages in LaTeX?

Yes, there are specific commands for typesetting non-English languages in LaTeX. For example, the "inputenc" package allows for the input of non-ASCII characters, while the "fontenc" package allows for the use of different font encodings.

5. Can I use LaTeX for languages that are written from right to left?

Yes, LaTeX can handle languages that are written from right to left, such as Hebrew and Arabic. This can be achieved by using the "bidi" package and specifying the direction of the text in the document class declaration.