Evaluating Contour Integral w/ Multiple Singularities

In summary, the contour integral with multiple singularities inside domain without residue theorem cannot be solved.
newmike
Contour integral with multiple singularities inside domain without residue theorem??

Homework Statement

Evaluate

[tex]\oint\frac{dz}{z^{2}-1}[/tex]

where C is the circle [tex]\left|z\right|[/tex] = 2

Homework Equations

Just learned contour integrals, so not much.
Ok to use Cauchy's Integral formula (if applicable)
Cannot use reside theorem as we haven't learned that yet

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried this a few different ways...

Anyway, it is clear that there are two singularities: z=1 and z=-1, and both of which are inside the contour. Because of this, I don't think I can use Cauchy's Integration formula.

By attempting the integral the long way and writing out partial fractions, I've arrived at:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\oint \frac{2ie^{it}dt}{2e^{it}-1}-\frac{1}{2}\oint \frac{2ie^{it}dt}{2e^{it}+1}[/tex]

where each integral is integrated over 0 to 2*pi

which is where I'm stick. I see that I can turn this into (using substitution):

[tex]\frac{1}{2}ln(\frac{2e^{it}-1}{2e^{it}+1})[/tex]

evaluated on 0 to 2pi which ends up with zero since it's not analytic. It seems I are ignoring the singularities here...

I have a gut feeling the answer shouldn't be zero... Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Mike

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

How about splitting 1/(z^2-1) using partial fractions into the sum of two functions which each have only one singularity?

Dick said:
How about splitting 1/(z^2-1) using partial fractions into the sum of two functions which each have only one singularity?
I think that is what OP already did.

Dick said:

Well I don't understand how that works since the domain still has two singularities. Are you suggesting apply cauchy's integral formula one at a time. Is that valid? I'm new to the topic and trying to get my head around it. I'll try it out to see what I get.

I believe the problem is that the function should be Log(z) not ln(r)

Log(z) = ln |r| + i arg(z)

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
I believe the problem is that the function should be Log(z) not ln(r)

Log(z) = ln |r| + i arg(z)

Ok, let me see if that changes things. Thanks.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
I think that is what OP already did.

Yes, it does look like the OP already did partial fractions. But my version of the Cauchy integral formula tells my how to integrate 1/(z-1) without using a contour parametrization. I don't see why you need to use one.

Btw that should read

log(z) = ln|z| + iarg(z)

not

log(z) = ln|r| + iarg(z) .

Sorry for the mistake :)

Dick said:
Yes, it does look like the OP already did partial fractions. But my version of the Cauchy integral formula tells my how to integrate 1/(z-1) without using a contour parametrization. I don't see why you need to use one.

I edited my post. I didn't read the post completely myself :)

But following your suggestion would also be useful to OP.

EDIT

Well I don't understand how that works since the domain still has two singularities. Are you suggesting apply cauchy's integral formula one at a time. Is that valid? I'm new to the topic and trying to get my head around it. I'll try it out to see what I get.

The question as not adressed to me but yes it is valid.

Last edited:

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Btw that should read

log(z) = ln|z| + iarg(z)

not

log(z) = ln|r| + iarg(z) .

Sorry for the mistake :)

Ok, I used this and still got zero.

I'm going to try use cauchy's integral formula on each one as you both are suggesting. Thanks again.

newmike said:

I'm going to try use cauchy's integral formula on each one as you both are suggesting. Thanks again.

If you get zero again, I think you are on the right track.

newmike said:

Anyway follows Dick suggestion it is a better one. I gave you the suggestion so that you didn't have to rework anything.

The zero is because the sum of the singularities "cancel" out.

Thanks for all the help guys,

I applied cauchy's integral formula on both integrals and I also got zero.

Using: [tex]\oint\frac{dz}{z-1}[/tex]

I let f(z)=1, and f eval'd at the singularity is obviously f(1)=1, so I said

[tex]\oint\frac{dz}{z-1}[/tex] = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]i(1) = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]i

Likewise, I got the same answer for the other integral because again f(z)=1 so f(-1)=1.

Altogether:

1/2 * 2 pi i - 1/2 * 2 pi i = 0

Anything noticeably wrong??..or should I just accept the fact that the answer is indeed zero ;) Thanks again!

Accept it :).

Ok I'll accept it ;)

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
The zero is because the sum of the singularities "cancel" out.

That makes sense. Now I feel more confident with the result of zero.

Thanks again, both of you, I've gone crazy over this one problem!

Take care,
-Mike

1. What is a contour integral with multiple singularities?

A contour integral with multiple singularities is an integral that is evaluated along a path or curve in the complex plane that contains multiple isolated points where the function being integrated is undefined or has a singularity.

2. How is a contour integral with multiple singularities evaluated?

A contour integral with multiple singularities is evaluated using the Cauchy integral formula, which involves summing the residues of the function at each singularity within the contour. The residues can be calculated using techniques such as Laurent series expansion.

3. What is the importance of evaluating contour integrals with multiple singularities?

Contour integrals with multiple singularities are important in many areas of mathematics and physics, including complex analysis, differential equations, and quantum mechanics. They allow for the evaluation of complex functions and provide insights into the behavior of these functions near their singularities.

4. What are some common techniques for evaluating contour integrals with multiple singularities?

Some common techniques for evaluating contour integrals with multiple singularities include the method of residues, the Cauchy principal value, and the use of branch cuts and branch points. Numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, can also be used to approximate the value of the integral.

5. What are some challenges in evaluating contour integrals with multiple singularities?

One of the main challenges in evaluating contour integrals with multiple singularities is identifying all of the singularities within the contour and determining their corresponding residues. This can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially for functions with a large number of singularities. Additionally, the path of integration must be chosen carefully to avoid crossing over or too close to the singularities, which can lead to inaccurate results.