Problem: Orbital Period - eclipse time - Illumination time ?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the feasibility study of three different orbits for a small satellite launch. The parameters to be considered include orbital period, maximum eclipse time, radiation effects, orbit decay, and illumination time. The person responding suggests using standard equations, such as Kepler's equation, for orbital calculations and recommends further reading and experimentation.
xoureo
Problem: Orbital Period - eclipse time - Illumination time ??

Homework Statement

An educational institute has decided to launch a small satellite having mass and volume of CubeSat specifications i.e. mass of 1.33kg and volume of 10 cm cube. Due to some launch constraints, there are three options for the target orbit of operation.

i. 600 Km circular orbit with 40 degree inclination
ii. 650 km Sun Synchronous orbit
iii. 700km apogee and 200km perigee elliptical orbit with 30 degree elevation

You are required to do the feasibility study of the above orbits to find, compare and comment on the
following parameters (You have to submit a formal report)

i. Orbital Period
ii. Maximum eclipse time
iii. Radiation effects
iv. Orbit decay due to atmospheric drag
v. Illumination time

Homework Equations

Hints
i. Use some standard text for the orbital calculation
ii. Same for the eclipse period

The Attempt at a Solution

Not even managed to use the kaplers eq. to find the orbital period.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Sounds to me like you have some reading to do. Perhaps you should try list up the equations you do think are relevant and show what you have tried so far.

1. What is the orbital period of an object?

The orbital period is the time it takes for an object to complete one orbit around another object. It is measured in units of time, usually in seconds, minutes, hours, days, or years.

2. How is the orbital period related to eclipse time?

The orbital period and eclipse time are related because the orbital period determines when an object will pass in front of or behind another object, causing an eclipse. The duration of the eclipse is equal to the time it takes for the object to complete one orbit.

3. What is the significance of illumination time?

Illumination time refers to the amount of time during an orbit when an object is fully illuminated by the light of the sun. This is important for understanding the temperature and conditions on the surface of the object.

4. How is the orbital period calculated?

The orbital period can be calculated using Kepler's third law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the object's average distance from the object it is orbiting. This can also be calculated using the object's mass, the distance from the object it is orbiting, and the gravitational constant.

5. Can the orbital period change?

Yes, the orbital period can change due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects, tidal forces, and changes in mass or distance from the object being orbited. However, these changes are usually very small and can take a long time to occur.