Starting physics late, negative impact on career?

In summary, the individuals in this conversation discuss their age and career changes, specifically in regards to pursuing a career in physics. They share concerns about their age potentially hindering their opportunities for graduate school, funding, and job prospects. However, others in the conversation reassure them that their age should not be a problem and encourage them to pursue their passion for physics. They also discuss the importance of marketing oneself and having a solid background, even in an unrelated field, as a strength when applying for jobs. Finally, they emphasize the importance of following one's dreams and studying what one loves, regardless of age.
djosey
Well I'm 25 years old, and am currently in the middle of a major career change, going from consulting to physics. Now for me my age isn't a problem, i feel motivated and am ready to bust my :blushing::blushing::blushing: for this.

However, I've been wondering if it could be a problem for others: would my age be bad for me when applying for graduate schools, or for funding, to get a job...? More hopefully, would a solid background, even in an unrelated field (i was in a relatively prestigious university and a good job experience) perhaps be an advantage?

Physics news on Phys.org
having a solid background with a degree from a prestigious university can't really hurt in any way. Why do you want to pursue physics if you don't mind me asking.

I don't think your age will present any obstacles for you that wouldn't be there otherwise.

dacruick said:
having a solid background with a degree from a prestigious university can't really hurt in any way. Why do you want to pursue physics if you don't mind me asking.

I don't think your age will present any obstacles for you that wouldn't be there otherwise.

Thanks for the encouraging answer.

As to your question, well it's kinda hard to summarize, but despite doing more or less well, i never really liked my current career path, and greatly disliked my last work experience. I enjoy solving problems, thinking about stuff, and i like the idea of a new challenge, something which i could do fully. Plus, it may seem strange i don't really feel like i need a high salary or job security right now, so what the heck, i might as well try something new and inspiring.

Not bad. Your problem solving skills will definitely be tested, and if you have some solid curiosity I think you may enjoy physics. Good luck!

Seriously, I don't see any issues with your age. Your first career can easily be a strength, in fact, when applying to your first physics job. You have a proven track record of being a valuable employee.

djosey said:
Well I'm 25 years old

Which is young!

djosey said:
More hopefully, would a solid background, even in an unrelated field (i was in a relatively prestigious university and a good job experience) perhaps be an advantage?

If you can market yourself right, definitely. You have that experience to use as general working experience, developing your sense of work, interpersonal skills, writing reports, working in a team all the usual stuff that is desirable for employers. Lots of the skills you have learned (whether you consider them skills or not) are transferable. If you're looking to go to graduate school after a degree I still see your experience as a positive thing. You should have a good work ethic, something which is very important in grad-student life (whether grad students give that as a general aura or not!). You can even use your previous degree to your advantage if you play it right - use this experience as a benchmark to show how much you know you enjoy studying physics. You had the will and strength to change from a career that you decided wasn't for you. One career change is fine, if it had been 3, 4 or 5 then it would just look like you're totally indecisive.

djosey said:
However, I've been wondering if it could be a problem for others: would my age be bad for me when applying for graduate schools, or for funding, to get a job...?

Not really. However, you should be aware that certain jobs (i.e. research professorships) are really, really, really hard regardless of your age, and you need to have realistic plans.

I'm in the same boat. Just turned 58 and plan to retire in 2 years. For the last year, I've been taking basic Freshman/Sophomore math and physics classes at a local community college with idea of applying for the Physics PhD program at the local university.

I have your same concerns, but greatly multiplied by the age difference. I don't think universities will discriminate for age, but do think they will ask Why? and What can you offer at the point you would receive the terminal degree (should be past 65 by then)?

At any rate, I say follow your dream. I am, and having a blast.

25? I'm 34 and just started my math degree. Same boat as Jmason who should be an inspiration to us both. (I too am planning on graduate study in Physics).

There are a few concerns in the back of my mind about "age" but I'm not really concerned about employment prospects at this point as much as my interests in mathematics and physics. Diligently pursue something you are interested in and the opportunities will be there.

-DaveKA

Thanks for all the answers, i think the capital point is how you "market" your situation so as to make it sound more positive.

Well n_n I'm like you! I'm 23 and I'm in my first year in the physics degree... I was concern about job oportunities..well indeed I'm right now...but I really want to study this! I was studying engeneering before but I did'nt like it at all... ingeneering is not was I was looking for. I was looking for answers, and I didn't find them in my last major, then I decided to begin once again... The only thing that matter is that you study what you like and want n__n we're going to find a job and do what we like...

Sorry about my english, It's not that good and don't worry! there are not a lot of physicist out there xD and they need us...

It is never too late, and I mean never. I go to a community college, there is a dude who is 65 in my linear algebra class. He's older than my professor. Also their is a guy I work with who decided to get his FE by taking calculus and physics at a university. He started 2 years ago and he's 55. No one cares about age, 1/3rd of the people in my classes are 30+.

djosey said:
Well I'm 25 years old, and am currently in the middle of a major career change, going from consulting to physics. Now for me my age isn't a problem, i feel motivated and am ready to bust my :blushing::blushing::blushing: for this.

However, I've been wondering if it could be a problem for others: would my age be bad for me when applying for graduate schools, or for funding, to get a job...? More hopefully, would a solid background, even in an unrelated field (i was in a relatively prestigious university and a good job experience) perhaps be an advantage?

Don't let age discourage you. I knew a person who received his BSEE at the age of 62. A solid background in an unrelated field won't necessarilly hurt your chances for a job. The exact nature of the job will determine if your background is relevant or not.

1. Can I still have a successful career in physics if I start late?

Yes, it is possible to have a successful career in physics even if you start late. While starting early can provide certain advantages, such as more time for research and networking, it is not a determining factor for success. It is more important to have a strong passion for the subject and a dedication to learning and improving.

2. Will starting physics late affect my ability to understand complex concepts?

Starting physics late may require you to put in extra effort to catch up on certain concepts, but it does not necessarily mean that you will struggle with complex concepts. With determination and a strong work ethic, you can overcome any challenges and develop a deep understanding of physics.

3. How will starting physics late impact my chances of getting into a good graduate program?

Starting physics late may make it more difficult to get into a top graduate program, as these programs often prioritize candidates who have a strong foundation in the subject. However, this does not mean that you cannot get into a good graduate program. Focus on excelling in your coursework and gaining research experience to make yourself a competitive candidate.

4. Is it too late to switch to a career in physics if I have already established myself in another field?

No, it is never too late to switch to a career in physics. Many successful physicists have come from diverse backgrounds and started their physics journey later in life. Your previous experiences and skills can also be valuable assets in your physics career.

5. How can I make the most out of starting physics late?

To make the most out of starting physics late, it is important to have a strong motivation and dedication to learning. Seek out opportunities to gain hands-on experience, such as internships or research projects, and actively engage with your peers and professors. Additionally, do not be afraid to ask for help and seek out resources to supplement your learning.