Time Limit to Edit Posts: Reason & New Limit

• Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
In summary, the time limit for editing posts has been decreased to two windows - the first being 5 minutes where edits are not noted, and the second being 24 hours where edits are noted. After the 24-hour window, users must contact a mentor for edits. This decrease in time limit may be due to some users abusing the edit function, particularly in the Homework forum. It is not possible to set different time limits for different subforums or users.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've noticed that the time we're allowed to edit our posts has been decreased. Is there a reason for that? Were people abusing it? What's the new time limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I've casually observed, there are two edit windows.

The first window is about 5 minutes. You can edit a post without it being noted in the upper right corner. I suppose this is just to fix typos.

After that, there's the second window. You can still edit a post in the next 24 hours, but it will be noted.

After the second window, you need to contact a mentor to do the edits for you, if they are willing.

Like I said, these are casual observations and they could be wrong.

I know that it used to be 24 hours, but it seems to have changed recently. For example, I can't edit this one, which is about 16 hours old.

Last edited:
Yes, as far as I can tell, it must have recently been lowered to some number close to 12 hrs. I don't recall an announcement being made about it.

Greg: Was there some reason for this, or is it a glitch?

Some people in the Homework forum have been abusing the edit function. I'd like to see the edit time reduced to an hour in that forum. It's not the people helping that are abusing it.

A reminder to homework helpers, please always fully quote the OP's post in your replies.

Thanks for the explanation. Is it possible to set the time limit differently in different subforums, or for different types of users?

Fredrik said:
Thanks for the explanation. Is it possible to set the time limit differently in different subforums, or for different types of users?
Greg says it's not possible.

What is the reason for having a time limit to edit posts?

The time limit to edit posts serves as a way to maintain the integrity and accuracy of information on a platform. It prevents users from making changes to their posts after a certain period of time, which could potentially alter the context of the post and mislead other users.

How long is the typical time limit to edit posts?

The time limit to edit posts can vary depending on the platform, but it is typically between 5-15 minutes. Some platforms may have longer time limits, while others may not have any time limit at all.

Can the time limit to edit posts be extended?

In some cases, the time limit to edit posts can be extended or removed. This may be possible through certain permissions or settings on the platform, or by contacting the platform's support team.

What happens if a post is edited after the time limit?

If a post is edited after the time limit, the platform may indicate that the post has been edited. Some platforms may also show the previous version of the post along with the edited version for transparency.

Is there a way to undo edits made after the time limit?

Unfortunately, once the time limit to edit posts has passed, there is typically no way to undo any changes made to the post. It is important for users to carefully review and edit their posts before the time limit expires to ensure accuracy.