Help With Banked Curve rotational motion

In summary, the first step in proving guilt or innocence in a crash on a curve is to find the coefficient of static friction, which can be calculated by dividing the force required to move past static friction by the normal force. The formula for this is F=ma, and the coefficient of static friction is equal to 42/mg.
spikefreeman

Homework Statement

I;m trying to prove if this guy is guilty or not, after crashing on a curve. This is mulitpart, but i will only do one at a time to not confuse. The first thing I have to do is find the coefficient of static friction. I have a drag sled test, which required a force of 42 lbs to move past static friction point. I don't really know whether this fdb requires the banked curve or if i can just do the level ground fdb as in ufn = mg. In other words, what will the fdb look like for the coefficient of static friction?

Homework Equations

F=ma,

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what FDB to use, so not much going on right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
However, the coefficient of static friction can be determined by taking the force (42 lbs) and dividing it by the normal force (mg). So, the coefficient of static friction is equal to 42/mg.

1. What is a banked curve in rotational motion?

A banked curve in rotational motion is a type of curved path that is tilted at an angle, allowing an object to move along it without any external force acting on it. This type of motion relies on the principles of centripetal force and centripetal acceleration to keep the object moving along the curved path.

2. How does the angle of bank affect the motion of an object on a banked curve?

The angle of bank affects the motion of an object on a banked curve by providing the necessary centripetal force to keep the object moving along the curved path. The steeper the angle of bank, the greater the centripetal force and the faster the object can move without slipping.

3. What is the difference between a banked curve and a flat curve in rotational motion?

The main difference between a banked curve and a flat curve in rotational motion is the presence of a centripetal force. In a flat curve, an external force is required to keep the object moving along the curved path. In a banked curve, the angle of bank provides the necessary centripetal force, eliminating the need for an external force.

4. How do you calculate the angle of bank needed for a specific speed on a banked curve?

The angle of bank required for a specific speed on a banked curve can be calculated using the formula: angle of bank = tan^-1 (v^2 / rg), where v is the speed of the object, r is the radius of the curved path, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What are some real-life examples of banked curves in rotational motion?

Some real-life examples of banked curves in rotational motion include banked turns on race tracks, banked roads on mountain passes, and banked turns on roller coasters. These structures are designed to allow vehicles or objects to safely move along a curved path without slipping or losing control.