Linebreak in Equations: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter RedX
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to have a line break in an equation and the default environment for (tex) (/tex) tags. The use of \linebreak, \newline, \\*, \\ for line breaks is mentioned, as well as the \begin{equation*} \end{equation*} environment. The \begin{split} \end{split} environment is also mentioned as an alternative for creating line breaks. The importance of refreshing the browser when previewing latex is also highlighted.
RedX
Is there a way to have a linebreak in an equation?

I tried \linebreak, \newline, \\*, \\, but these don't seem to work.

Also what is the default environment for (tex) (/tex)? When you have those two tags, is that equivalent to \begin{equation*} \end{equation*}? Or if you want an environment do you have to put it between those two tags: (tex) \begin{equation*} equation goes here \end{equation*} (/tex)?

Physics news on Phys.org
RedX: I could be wrong, but I currently think the default environment is not \begin{equation*} \end{equation*}. I think the default environment is called in-line (?). To obtain a line break, you could use the following syntax. The ampersands (&) are optional; I am currently not sure exactly what the ampersands do here. Notice "stuff3" will be indented differently if you omit the ampersands. Do not forget to always press the Reload or Refresh button in your browser (located on your browser navigation toolbar) each and every time you preview your latex. (But always copy your text before you press Reload or Refresh, in case it loses what you typed.)

[ tex]\begin{equation*}\begin{split}stuff1&=stuff2\\
stuff3\\
&=stuff4\\
&=stuff5\end{split}\end{equation*}[ /tex]​

Last edited:
Thanks. The split environment is new to me. I had tried \\ with eqnarray, but it didn't seem to work on here. But it works with split.

1. Can equations be broken into multiple lines?

Yes, equations can be broken into multiple lines to make them easier to read and understand.

2. Is there a specific way to break equations into multiple lines?

Yes, there are different methods for breaking equations into multiple lines, such as using the align environment in LaTeX or using the \split command in Microsoft Word.

3. Are there any rules for breaking equations into multiple lines?

There are some guidelines for breaking equations into multiple lines, such as breaking after an equal sign or a plus/minus sign, and keeping related terms together.

4. Can equations be broken into multiple lines in any type of document?

Yes, equations can be broken into multiple lines in various types of documents, such as research papers, presentations, and textbooks.

5. Can breaking equations into multiple lines affect the accuracy of the equation?

No, breaking equations into multiple lines does not affect the accuracy of the equation as long as the terms and symbols are kept in the correct order and the equation is properly formatted.