Solving Forces & Torques: The Weight Problem

In summary, the reader is having trouble solving a problem involving torque and geometry. They are trying different methods and getting different results. They eventually figure out they are having a problem with the geometry and try a different method.
BlackMamba
I can't understand why I can't get this problem right. It's irritating me, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Problem: The drawing shows a jet engine suspended beneath the wing of an airplane. The weight W of the engine is 9300 N and acts as shown in the drawing. The rotational axis in the drawing is perpendicular to the plane of the paper. With respect to this axis, find the magnitude of the torque due to the following force: the weight.

Drawing

I know how to find torque using Torque = Fl

Initially my equation consisted of:

Torque = 9300(2.50)cos 32 - But my answer was wrong. So I then thought perhaps I should being using gravity in there since W = mg. In using that my second equation consisted of:

Torque = 91140(2.50)cos 32 - But again my answer was wrong.

What am I missing?? This should not be that difficult that's why I'm getting frustrated that I can't figure out something simple, that I'm not just doing right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try dividing by cos32 instead of multiplying. Not promising anything, just saying give it a try.

I seem to remember doing problems like this in the past and that was the answer.

You are having problem with geometry, look at the triangle again!

BlackMamba said:
I know how to find torque using Torque = Fl

Initially my equation consisted of:

Torque = 9300(2.50)cos 32
Why do you multiply by cos 32 ?
So I then thought perhaps I should being using gravity in there since W = mg.
The weight is given; no need to calculate it.

I have no idea why I multiply by cos 32. I was just following an example in the book that was similar. Is it supposed to be sin?

BlackMamba said:
I have no idea why I multiply by cos 32. I was just following an example in the book that was similar. Is it supposed to be sin?
You tell me. :smile: What's the definition of torque? What distance is involved?

Torque is the magnitude of the force times the lever arm. The lever arm being the distance that is invloved.

So...I still don't know what I'm doing wrong.

BlackMamba said:
Torque is the magnitude of the force times the lever arm. The lever arm being the distance that is invloved.

So...I still don't know what I'm doing wrong.
The lever arm is the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the line of action of the force.

As Cyclovenom noted, you are having a geometry/trig problem. (Examine the triangle involved, find the side that represents the lever arm, and determine which trig function you need.)

Ok, I'll give it another go. Thank you for your help. It's much appreciated. :)

1. What is the weight problem in solving forces and torques?

The weight problem in solving forces and torques refers to the challenge of determining the weight of an object in a given system. This is important in understanding the overall forces and torques acting on the object, which can help in predicting its motion and stability.

2. How do you calculate the weight of an object?

The weight of an object can be calculated by multiplying its mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth). This can be represented by the equation W = mg, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight and mass are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different quantities. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in newtons.

4. How does weight affect an object's motion?

The weight of an object affects its motion by contributing to the overall forces acting on it. If the weight is greater than other forces, such as friction or air resistance, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force. If the weight is equal to or less than other forces, the object will either remain at rest or move at a constant velocity.

5. Can weight affect an object's stability?

Yes, weight can affect an object's stability by contributing to the overall torque (or rotational force) acting on the object. A heavier object will have a greater tendency to tip or rotate compared to a lighter object, all other factors being equal. This is why it is important to consider weight when solving for forces and torques in a system.