Can black lines on a mirror cause diffraction of light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Feynman lectures on light and how the use of black lines on a mirror can cause diffraction. The question is asked whether shining a laser between two black lines will affect the path of the photons, and the answer is that it will essentially act like a slit, with larger distances between the lines resulting in less diffraction.
cragar
I watched the Feynman lectures on light . And when he talks about a photon bouncing off a mirror, and that it usually bounces off at the angle it hits, But then he says I'm going to do a dirty trick and paint black lines in the mirror. Like if he paints enough lines the light will diffract.
My question is if I have a laser and I shine it in between two black lines, but the red dot that the laser makes is in between the lines, will this affect the path of the photons. And what about if i paint the lines like 1 inch apart? He makes it sound like it will because it will affect all the possible paths when we average the amplitudes.

Science news on Phys.org
The light will diffract regardless... the purpose of the black lines is to act as an amplitude grating; (spatial) parts of the wave are reduced to zero, while other parts remain unaffected.

If you shine a laser between two black lines, they will essentially act like a slit. If you paint the lines really far apart, they will still act like a slit, but then, according to the laws of diffraction, a large slit is almost equivalent to no slit at all...

Claude.

OK thanks for you answer, I appreciate it

1. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when waves encounter an obstacle or opening in a barrier. It causes the waves to bend or spread out as they pass through or around the obstacle.

2. What causes diffraction?

Diffraction is caused by the interference of waves as they pass through or around an obstacle. This interference causes the waves to bend or spread out.

3. What types of waves can exhibit diffraction?

Diffraction can occur with any type of wave, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves. However, the amount of diffraction depends on the wavelength of the wave in relation to the size of the obstacle or opening.

4. What are some real-life examples of diffraction?

Diffraction is a common occurrence in our everyday lives. Some examples include the bending of sound waves around a building, the spread of light around a doorframe, and the bending of ocean waves around a breakwater.

5. How is diffraction used in science and technology?

Diffraction is used in a variety of scientific and technological applications. For example, scientists use diffraction patterns to study the structure of crystals and molecules. In technology, diffraction is used in devices such as diffraction gratings to separate and analyze different wavelengths of light.