Any ideas how I could fill a steel tube with pellets?

In summary, the person is having trouble filling a tube with pellets while the pipe has a gradual incline. They are looking for ideas on how to solve the problem. One possible solution is to add a mesh screen to the bottom of the funnel so the pellets will flow easier, or to use air pressure to sweep the pellets up from the bottom of the tube.
redarmytyke
Hello,

I have a production problem and would welcome any ideas which would make this task easier.

I need to fill a 5 meter tube with pellets of 5mm grain size.

The inner diameter of the tube is approx 40mm.

Here's the problem...I need to fill the tube while the pipe has only a gradual incline - ie it is not practical to stand the heavy tube vertically and pour in the pellets using a funnel.

Can anyone think of a way I could pack the tube with the pellets while the tube is laid flat or with a maximum 45degree incline?

I appreciate any simple or crazy ideas - Andy

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would have thought a slope of 45 degrees would have been enough for the pellets to slide down OK.

You may need to put a piece of flexible pipe on the bottom the funnel, so the funnel can stay vertical and feed into the angled tube. You could make a special funnel with an angled pipe, once you know the system will work OK.

Or is part of the problem getting the pipe completely full, including the last little bit of space at the top of the sloping pipe?

If you can fill a pipe laying flat with tiny pellets and not have the pellets run out the end, let me know.

1) if the pellets flow easily, put a mesh screen on the bottom end and attach a vacuum hose.
2) if not, fill a slightly smaller tube w/ the pellets and push it to the end of the 40mm tube, use a ramrod to push them in as you withdraw the inside tube,
3) some kind of fluid to keep them suspended might work too
4) all of above in a centrifuge at cryo temp w/ a zipper down the side.

... or the pellets could be swept up from the bottom of the tube by air moving towards a partial vacuum at the top, or Lester's "2)" could use air pressure instead of a ramrod

1. How can I fill a steel tube with pellets without using my hands?

One option is to use a funnel with a small opening to pour the pellets into the tube. You can also use a vacuum to suck the pellets into the tube.

2. Can I use different types of pellets for this experiment?

Yes, as long as the pellets are small enough to fit through the opening of the tube and are made of a material that won't damage or react with the steel.

3. What is the best way to ensure the pellets are evenly distributed inside the tube?

You can shake or gently tap the tube to help the pellets settle into place. You can also use a rod or stick to push the pellets down and create a more even distribution.

4. Is there a specific amount or weight of pellets that should be used for this experiment?

The amount of pellets used will depend on the size of the steel tube and the purpose of the experiment. It is recommended to fill the tube about 3/4 of the way full to leave room for movement and prevent the pellets from spilling out.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when filling the steel tube with pellets?

It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, to prevent any injuries from sharp edges on the steel tube or potential flying pellets. Also, make sure to work in a well-ventilated area and avoid inhaling any dust from the pellets.