Spatial and Angular Resolution of a Earth observing Telescope

In summary: The size of the mirror will be determined by how much of the image you want to "resolve". The higher the resolution, the smaller the mirror needed.
CJSGrailKnigh
Does anybody know of a good reference for determining the required diameter of an Earth observing telescope's primary mirror? I am trying to find determine a rough estimate for a design I am working on. So far I have found the equation

Sin[itex]\theta[/itex] = 1.220 [itex]\lambda[/itex]/D

for angular resolution and

[itex]\Delta[/itex]l = 1.220 d[itex]\lambda[/itex]/D

for spatial resolution, where D is the Diameter, d is the distance, lambda is the wavelength. I've never really dealt with optics like this (minus like a class in high school long ago) but I do know my results are ridiculous at a 12 cm primary for a 500Km orbit

My confusion comes from what the angle I use is. The satellite would be orbiting between 200 and 500 Km and be taking 25 x 25 km images in full colour.

If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The angle is the object size (I assume you're talking about an orbiting telescope looking down on Earth?) divided by the altitude. You can forget the sines and tangents, the angles are tiny so just use the angle in radians. Note the angle is the half-angle, so the diffraction limit to "resolve" an object of diameter L requires a telescope diameter D given by D = 2.44*d*lamda/L. I use quotes on "resolve" because it's actually a lot more complicated than this simple formula.

Thank you. I just had just found something saying just this and this confirms that I have been using every angle but the right one! This formula should do for a first approximation. I just need to give the guys in the structures and mechanisms group an idea of how big this is going to be (seeing as they need to get it into the launch vehicle fairing). This has been a great help.

Hmmm... the data still seems wonky. According to this for 1m resolution at 600km I only need a mirror of about 1.1 m, which doesn't seem right given that every commercial sat I know has a mirror around 1.6 m and has a working resolution in colour of around 4m.

It's not just limited by diffraction, in fact that's probably the least of your worries.

Optical aberrations being what I need to reduce.

Last edited:

1. What is spatial resolution?

Spatial resolution refers to the ability of a telescope to distinguish between two separate objects or features that are close together in space. In the context of Earth observing telescopes, it refers to the smallest distance that can be resolved on the Earth's surface.

2. How is spatial resolution measured?

Spatial resolution is typically measured in terms of the size of the smallest discernible object or feature on the Earth's surface, often referred to as the ground sample distance (GSD). GSD is measured in units of length, such as meters or feet.

3. What factors affect spatial resolution?

The main factors that affect spatial resolution of an Earth observing telescope include the size and quality of the telescope's optics, the altitude and orbit of the telescope, and the sensor's detector size and resolution. Other factors, such as atmospheric conditions and image processing techniques, can also play a role.

4. What is angular resolution?

Angular resolution refers to the smallest angular separation between two objects or features that can be resolved by a telescope. It is typically measured in units of arcseconds or degrees, and is influenced by the telescope's optics and sensor size.

5. How does angular resolution differ from spatial resolution?

While spatial resolution refers to the smallest distance that can be resolved on the Earth's surface, angular resolution refers to the smallest angular separation that can be resolved. In other words, angular resolution takes into account the distance between the telescope and the observed objects, while spatial resolution does not.