Real analysis question: show that x^4 - x - 1 = 0 has two real roots

In summary, the problem is asking to prove that the function f(x) = x^4 - x - 1 has two real roots. Using the intermediate value theorem, it can be shown that there exists a root between x=-1 and x=0 and another between x=1 and x=2. Additionally, the function has a minimum value that is less than 0, and the function tends to infinity as x approaches infinity or negative infinity. This proves that there are at least two real roots for the function f(x).
frenchkiki

Homework Statement

Let f(x)=x^4 - x - 1. Show that f(x)=0 has two real roots.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

x(x^3 - 1 - 1/x) = 0 which gives x=0 and x^3 - 1 - 1/x=0, x^2 - 1/x - 1/x^2=0, but WolframAlpha says x~~0.724492 and x~~-1.22074. I kept dividing by x it but couldn't come up with a sound result.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the point of this problem is to find the roots, but just to show they exist. Are you allowed to use the intermediate value theorem?

Find out the behaviour of the function as x goes either to infinity and to minus infinity. It is also useful to calculate f(0), f(1), f(-1), so as you get a picture of the function. Does it have minima and maxima? how many?

ehild

gb7nash said:
I don't think the point of this problem is to find the roots, but just to show they exist. Are you allowed to use the intermediate value theorem?

Yes I am allowed to use the intermediate value theorem.

ehild said:
Find out the behaviour of the function as x goes either to infinity and to minus infinity. It is also useful to calculate f(0), f(1), f(-1), so as you get a picture of the function. Does it have minima and maxima? how many?

as tends to inf: lim f(x) = inf
as tends to -inf: lim f(x) = -inf
f(0)=-1
f(1)=-1
f(-1)=1

I'm not sure on how to find the extremum though

frenchkiki said:
Yes I am allowed to use the intermediate value theorem.

No, this isn't true. As x approaches -∞, f(x) approaches +∞.
frenchkiki said:
f(0)=-1
f(1)=-1
f(-1)=1

The problem is not asking for this. Focus on what the problem is asking you to show. It might be helpful to sketch a rough graph of this function based on the two limits and the three function values above. Keep in mind the suggestion from gb7nash.

Last edited:
prove that: if f(x) = x4 - x - 1,

a) f tends to ∞ as x tends to -∞ or ∞.
b) f'(x) has at least one root
c) f has a global minimum
d) this minimum is < 0.

why does this tell you f has at least 2 real roots?

then show f has at most 2 roots (hint: look at part (b) again).

frenchkiki said:
f(0)=-1
f(1)=-1
f(-1)=1

You see that the function is positive at x=-1, then negative at x=0. As it is continuous, it must be zero somewhere between -1 and 0. It is -1 again at x=-1, so there is a turning point, a minimum between x=0 and x=1. And the function is positive for large x values. Is it zero again somewhere between x=1 and infinity?

ehild

OK I figured this one out thanks to you guys:

from the I.V. theorem, there exists c=0 belonging to [a, b] with a=1 and b=-1 in the first case, second case with a=1 and b=2. therefore f(a)=-1<c=0<f(b)=1 and f(a)=-1<c=0<f(2)=13 so we have two real values for x.

Thanks y'all for your help!

1. How can I prove that the equation x^4 - x - 1 = 0 has two real roots?

To prove that this equation has two real roots, we can use the Intermediate Value Theorem. This theorem states that if a continuous function f(x) has values of opposite signs at two points a and b, then there must be at least one root between a and b. In this case, we can use f(x) = x^4 - x - 1 and show that it has values of opposite signs at x = -1 and x = 1, proving the existence of at least two real roots.

2. Can I use the quadratic formula to find the roots of x^4 - x - 1 = 0?

No, the quadratic formula only applies to equations of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0. This equation is a quartic equation, meaning it has a degree of 4. To solve this equation, we will need to use other methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the Rational Root Theorem.

3. What is the Rational Root Theorem and how does it apply to x^4 - x - 1 = 0?

The Rational Root Theorem states that if a polynomial equation with integer coefficients has a rational root (p/q), then p must be a factor of the constant term and q must be a factor of the leading coefficient. In the case of x^4 - x - 1 = 0, the constant term is -1 and the leading coefficient is 1, so the possible rational roots are ±1, ±1/1, ±1/1. Using synthetic division or plugging in these values, we can show that none of them are actually roots of the equation.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the roots of x^4 - x - 1 = 0?

Yes, there are other methods such as using numerical approximations like Newton's method or using the Descartes' Rule of Signs to estimate the number of positive and negative roots. However, these methods may not always give exact solutions and may require more advanced mathematics.

5. Why is it important to prove that x^4 - x - 1 = 0 has two real roots?

Proving the existence of real roots for this equation is important because it shows that this equation has solutions that are not complex numbers. In real analysis, we often deal with real-valued functions and equations, so knowing the number of real roots can help us better understand the behavior of the function and its graph. Additionally, this proof can also be applied to other similar equations and help us make generalizations about their roots.