Does time period of SHM vary with frame(inertial and non inertial)?

In summary: Consider both the cases.then??hmm. For a physical object oscillating in space, you need to say what you mean by the period of oscillation, because from the point of view of the accelerated observer, the oscillator might never repeat its motion.For some more abstract oscillator like an electrical circuit, it is more simple. In this case, I think you were right that:both observers will see the same frequency if the circuit is in equilibrium and the acceleration is constant.
vkash
Does time period of SHM vary with frame(inertial and non inertial)??

Homework Statement

There is an SHM. First observer is watching it from inertial frame of refrence and secodn is from non inertial will there any change of time period for both observer.

Homework Equations

just think about it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done a question on SHM. that was solved example first i do that with my self with non inertial frame of reference and then when i see it in book it was done by inertial frame. However my answer was matching with answer of the book.

After i think on it. I come to conclusion that speed is not too fast so clock of both observer run with same speed hence both observers will see it with same time period..
thanks..
waiting for your response.

Physics news on Phys.org

So... we're assuming non-relativistic speeds, and the question is whether two observers (one being accelerated) will see the same frequency for the SHM oscillator? One important thing is whether the acceleration of the observer is constant with time or not.

BruceW said:
So... we're assuming non-relativistic speeds, and the question is whether two observers (one being accelerated) will see the same frequency for the SHM oscillator? One important thing is whether the acceleration of the observer is constant with time or not.

consider both the cases.then??

hmm. For a physical object oscillating in space, you need to say what you mean by the period of oscillation, because from the point of view of the accelerated observer, the oscillator might never repeat its motion.

For some more abstract oscillator like an electrical circuit, it is more simple. In this case, I think you were right that:
vkash said:
After i think on it. I come to conclusion that speed is not too fast so clock of both observer run with same speed hence both observers will see it with same time period..

Also depends on what "watching" means precisely. "Observing" sound waves might not be the same as "watching" a pendulum.

1. How does the time period of SHM change in an inertial frame?

The time period of SHM does not change in an inertial frame. In an inertial frame, the laws of motion are the same regardless of the frame of reference. Therefore, the time period of SHM remains constant.

2. Does the time period of SHM vary in a non-inertial frame?

Yes, the time period of SHM can vary in a non-inertial frame. In a non-inertial frame, the laws of motion are affected by acceleration and the time period of SHM can be affected by this acceleration.

3. How does the time period of SHM change in a rotating frame of reference?

In a rotating frame of reference, the time period of SHM can change due to the centripetal and Coriolis forces that arise from the rotation. These forces can affect the acceleration and therefore, the time period of SHM.

4. Can the time period of SHM be affected by the velocity of an object in a frame of reference?

No, the time period of SHM is not affected by the velocity of an object in a frame of reference. The time period is only affected by acceleration, not velocity.

5. Does the time period of SHM change in a gravitational field?

Yes, the time period of SHM can change in a gravitational field. This is due to the acceleration of gravity, which can affect the acceleration and therefore, the time period of SHM.