Windows 8 Install: Is it Safe?

In summary: Then, if anything goes wrong and you have to go back, you can just restore your clone instead of restoring your entire hard drive.In summary, if you want to install Windows 8 on your computer, you should first make a clone of your hard drive and then install Windows 8 on the clone.
scottbekerham
Hi , I want to install windows 8 Developer preview on my computer but I'm not sure if I can uninstall it and restore my previous version of windows without trouble .What do you think? Is it safe?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What about dual or multi-boot? Just install to another partition, perhaps another partition on another hard drive. Note #1 - assuming it's the same as Windows 7, if you don't want to end up with Windows 8 using different lettering for you partitions, start the installation while running an existing version of windows. Note #2 - if you're installing a 64 bit version, the installer is a 64 bit app, so you need to be running on a 64 bit version of windows to run the Window 8 64 bit installer (at least this is how it works with Windows 7). This can be XP or Vista or Win 7 64 bit.

I had to do this to add Win 7 64 bit to an existing dual boot XP 32 bit / XP 64 bit system. I started the install process while running XP 64 bit. If I had started the install by booting from the DVD, it would have re-lettered the install partition "C", and removed the letter from the original "C" partition. Starting the install from XP 64 bit, left my drive letters alone (in my case, I have 3 hard drives, 5 partitions each, I use "D" for XP 64 bit, "I" for XP 32 bit, and "N" for Win 7 64 bit, "C" only has BOOTMGR and NTLDR and related loader typs files.

What is your currrent OS?

If you just want to try it, I'd suggest using a virtual machine.

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57360492-12/how-to-try-the-windows-8-metro-interface-free/?tag=nl.e415

You could look at this - I got it from CNET.

scottbekerham said:
Hi , I want to install windows 8 Developer preview on my computer but I'm not sure if I can uninstall it and restore my previous version of windows without trouble .What do you think? Is it safe?

What I'd do is make a clone of my hard drive (which should be done on a periodic basis anyway) before you make any changes.

1. What are the system requirements for installing Windows 8?

The minimum system requirements for installing Windows 8 include a 1 GHz or faster processor, 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit), 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit), and a DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver. It is also recommended to have a screen resolution of at least 1024x768 pixels.

2. Can I upgrade to Windows 8 from an older version of Windows?

Yes, you can upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP. However, the upgrade process may vary depending on the current version of Windows you have. It is recommended to check the Microsoft website for specific instructions.

3. Is it safe to install Windows 8 over my current operating system?

Yes, it is safe to install Windows 8 over your current operating system. The installation process will typically preserve your personal files and settings, but it is always recommended to back up important data before any major system changes.

4. Do I need to uninstall my antivirus software before installing Windows 8?

Yes, it is recommended to uninstall your antivirus software before installing Windows 8. This is to avoid any potential conflicts during the installation process. You can reinstall your antivirus software after the installation is complete.

5. Can I go back to my previous operating system after installing Windows 8?

Yes, you can revert back to your previous operating system within 30 days of installing Windows 8. This option is available in the "Recovery" section of the Settings menu. After 30 days, the option to go back to your previous operating system will no longer be available.