From Physics to Medicine: The Journey of a Student's Career Decisions

In summary, In vorcil's opinion, if he were to go back before he started his undergraduate study, he would change to medicine because he has a strong interest in the field and he enjoys patient contacts. He would also pursue a doctorate in computational neuroscience.

If you could go back in time, would you switch your degree to medicine or another maj

• Yes, Switch to medicine

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • No, Stay with physics or other natural science

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Yes, another major

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
vorcil
If you were to go back before you started your undergraduate study

Would you change to medicine?

I finished my physics degree but I'm now doing medicine

Biology news on Phys.org
probably switch to full engineering or full physics or full maths, instead of my half physics half engineering

I had no interest in studying medicine then. I have no interest in studying medicine now. I have no interest in finding a closed timelike curve so that I could now study medicine then.

vorcil said:
I finished my physics degree but I'm now doing medicine

Why the change in majors, may I ask??

EE made the most sense to me at the time, but now that I work part time as an EMT, I've found that I enjoy patient contacts quite a bit (even the difficult patients). If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have pursued the MD route, and probably would have specialized in Emergency Medicine.

Have you done any work with patients yet? What sparked your interest in medicine?

A very bright EE that I met in grad school and worked with for a few years after graduation (we both worked for Bell Labs at the time) decided that he wanted to go back to Med School to switch careers to medicine. He became a very successful doc, specializing in high-risk pregnancies. Impressive, and he says he loves the choice he made to change.

Exactly the reverse. I *have* studied Medicine, and if I had it to do over again, I'd do Physics, or a Physics-heavy applied discipline.

micromass said:
Why the change in majors, may I ask??

I took up physics because I wanted to do something with cancer, I didn't want to do anything on the chemistry/pharmaceutical side.

I want to become an oncologist.

After I finished my physics degree I did a semester of a Medical physics masters before switching over to medicine which I was lucky enough to get into as a post graduate student.

After I finish medicine I will specialize as an oncologist which deals with delivering/developing treatment using surgical, radiation and cytoxic treatments to treat cancer.
I've also done a summer internship in an oncology department at a hospital here in my city for 3 months I was seeing what it was like to be an oncologist.

I'd also like to do some more physics in the future, as a medical physicist/oncologist.

vorcil said:
I took up physics because I wanted to do something with cancer, I didn't want to do anything on the chemistry/pharmaceutical side.

I want to become an oncologist.

After I finished my physics degree I did a semester of a Medical physics masters before switching over to medicine which I was lucky enough to get into as a post graduate student.

After I finish medicine I will specialize as an oncologist which deals with delivering/developing treatment using surgical, radiation and cytoxic treatments to treat cancer.
I've also done a summer internship in an oncology department at a hospital here in my city for 3 months I was seeing what it was like to be an oncologist.

I'd also like to do some more physics in the future, as a medical physicist/oncologist.

Very admirable, vorcil. Do great things!

berkeman said:
EE made the most sense to me at the time, but now that I work part time as an EMT, I've found that I enjoy patient contacts quite a bit (even the difficult patients). If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have pursued the MD route, and probably would have specialized in Emergency Medicine...
Just curious. Have you ever been involved with any medical electronics during your EE career? I once worked at the University of Kansas Hospital (years ago) where doctors worked with engineers to make specialized medical tools, both mechanical and electronic. I can understand the attraction between the fields.

dlgoff said:
Just curious. Have you ever been involved with any medical electronics during your EE career? I once worked at the University of Kansas Hospital (years ago) where doctors worked with engineers to make specialized medical tools, both mechanical and electronic. I can understand the attraction between the fields.

I did a consulting project a while back with an ortho surgeon on an impedance monitoring device for drilling into major bones. His idea was to use it to monitor when he reached different layers of the bone during drilling. It was a pretty interesting project, and he used my prototype in some clinical trials, AFAIK.

But that didn't involve any patient contacts, and honestly, ortho surgery would not be something I would want to do on a daily basis. Lordy, hammers, chisels, drills, hacksaws, etc. Yoiks.

After I got my physics BS, I went to computational neuroscience for MS... going to do comp neuro for PhD.

I wouldn't have it any other way. If I went back, I'd start with physics again. Except for maybe I'd drop all QM and relativity classes for more classical, chemistry, or bio classes.

But I think classical mechanics, calculus, and thermodynamics are all pretty damned essential to biology, mainly the treatment with differential equations and thinking about how energy and matter interact in general.

1. What inspired you to pursue a career in both physics and medicine?

My fascination with the natural world and how it works is what initially drew me to physics. However, as I learned more about the human body and how it functions, I became interested in applying my knowledge of physics to the field of medicine.

2. How do physics and medicine intersect in your career?

Physics and medicine intersect in many ways in my career. As a medical physicist, I use principles of physics to develop and improve medical imaging techniques and radiation therapy treatments. Additionally, understanding the physics of the human body is crucial in diagnosing and treating medical conditions.

3. What challenges did you face while pursuing a career in both physics and medicine?

One of the biggest challenges I faced was finding a balance between my studies in physics and medicine. Both fields require a significant amount of time and effort, so it was important for me to prioritize and manage my time effectively. I also had to overcome the misconception that one cannot have a successful career in both physics and medicine.

4. How do you think your background in physics has helped you in your medical career?

My background in physics has provided me with a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. These skills have been invaluable in my medical career, as they allow me to approach complex medical problems in a logical and systematic manner.

5. What advice do you have for students considering a career in both physics and medicine?

My advice would be to never limit yourself and to follow your passions. Pursuing a career in both physics and medicine may seem challenging, but with determination and hard work, it is possible to excel in both fields. Also, don't be afraid to seek guidance and mentorship from professionals in both fields to gain a better understanding of the career options available to you.