Impulse vs Fnet relation to damage?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether an object with a high acceleration or a greater momentum causes more damage. It specifically focuses on a bullet and the impact of its velocity and impulse on the amount of damage it causes. The conclusion is that the bullet's momentum and how it deforms upon impact are the main factors in determining damage, while the reference for the initial momentum in the impulse calculation is immediately before hitting the target.
mrneuro
what does more damage an object w/ a high acceleration or a greater momentum

i was watching one of my favorite tv shows "Justified" and i started to wonder would a bullet moving at a greater acceleration hence greater force (F=ma) inflict more damage or would a bullet w/ a greater velocity, hence momentum (p) and impulse (Δp=Favgt)

im pretty sure the bullet will have the greatest acceleration as it leaves a gun
what about Δp?

and so i guess my question is does impulse generate more damage or is it more Newtonian in that a greater acceleration impacts more damage

obviously m of bullet is same

So i guess my question is F=ma vs Δp (Favgt) which does more damage in terms of a bullet

this has been bothering me for about a week now and i can't seem to convince myself one or the other because I am pretty sure Fnet has an impact on Favg but then i tell myself the max acceleration leads max velocity

HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mrneuro! welcome to pf! :smile:

a bullet stops accelerating as soon as it leaves the gun …

from then on, it's slowing down …

the damage is caused by the momentum, and by the way the bullet deforms

thanks!

sorry but one more question would a bullet at maximal velocity say 30 m from the bullet tip cause more damage

or a bullet just exiting the gun?

i guess I am asking what is the reference for p initial for the Δp calculation?

mrneuro said:
i guess I am asking what is the reference for p initial for the Δp calculation?

p initial is the momentum immediately before it hits the target (and p final is 0) :smile:

tiny-tim said:
p initial is the momentum immediately before it hits the target (and p final is 0) :smile:

Sweet thanks!

so greatest impulse wil be found at max velocity

1. What is the relationship between impulse and force?

The relationship between impulse and force is that impulse is equal to the change in momentum, which is mass multiplied by velocity, and force is equal to the change in momentum over time. In other words, impulse is a measure of the change in momentum caused by a force over a certain period of time.

2. How does impulse affect the amount of damage caused?

Impulse can affect the amount of damage caused in a few ways. Firstly, a larger impulse, or change in momentum, can result in a greater amount of force being applied to an object, which can lead to more damage. Additionally, the duration of the impulse can also impact the amount of damage, as a longer impulse can result in a more gradual transfer of momentum and potentially less damage.

3. What is the role of Fnet in the relation to damage?

Fnet, or net force, plays a crucial role in the relation to damage. The net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object, and it determines the acceleration of the object. A larger net force can result in a greater amount of acceleration and potentially more damage, while a smaller net force may result in less damage.

4. How does the angle of impact affect the impulse vs Fnet relation to damage?

The angle of impact can have a significant impact on the impulse vs Fnet relation to damage. If the force and the direction of motion are in the same direction, the impulse will be larger, resulting in more damage. However, if the force is applied at an angle to the direction of motion, the impulse and resulting damage may be reduced.

5. Can impulse and Fnet be used to predict the amount of damage in different scenarios?

While impulse and Fnet can provide insight into the potential amount of damage, there are many other factors that can also impact the damage caused. These may include the properties of the object being impacted, the materials involved, and the environment. Therefore, while impulse and Fnet can be useful measures, they may not be able to accurately predict the exact amount of damage in every scenario.