Oddball question about linguistics wrt evolution of language

In summary, there is no established rate at which languages evolve, but it has been compared to the idea of a molecular clock in genetics. This comparison has been refuted by a forum member who stated that English is actually one of the fastest evolving languages, with other languages remaining stable for longer periods of time. The inclusion of new words in the English language is a careful process, with a requirement of five years of evidence before being considered for inclusion in the Oxford English Dictionary. This is due to the potential for slang usage to devolve into a loss of meaning. The use of English is also rapidly evolving due to the mass communication possibilities of electronic media. It has been suggested that audience selection drives the evolutionary progress of music, as seen in the
tomishere
Has anyone ever tried to establish an approx rate that languages evolve, in a similar way that genetic change was used to establish a molecular clock of sorts? (disclaimer: i know zero about linguistics) thanks someone.

Science news on Phys.org
I also know 0 about linguistics and assumed that they all evolve at the same rate as English. PF member Arildno, who is Norwegian, responded that this isn't true. English is about the zippiest language on earth, and other languages stay stable for much longer periods. He said the average Norwegian can pick up a saga written in the middle ages and understand it with no special training. This is not possible with Medieval English.

You could take an old-English word and gather statistics about its usage. It wouldn’t say anything about the whole language but might tell you something about the word. As an aside, I prefer the word drift or even evolutionary-drift, as evolution by itself implies a value preference.

Using English:

When a word or the usae of the word in a given context becomes a panchreston (the meaning of the word is too broad to convey useful information, or an already existing word has a more precise meaning) it ceases to be used.

From Graeme Diamond of OED on inclusion of new words:
“We require five pieces of printed evidence from five different sources over a period of at least five years before we even consider a word for inclusion. Once these criteria have been met (which, with dartitis, is the case) we take in a broader range of considerations, first and foremost widespread evidence of a word being used in general contexts, but also other factors such as historical importance, and so on, and prioritize on that basis"

Please note the 5 year comment.

One of the reasons is that slang usage can devolve into loss of meaning in a few years. If you recall "heavy" from the late 1960's, it became overused (loss of meaning). The use of heavy to mean profound is not all common among English speakers now. Profound worked better than heavy, so it was "selected" against.

This is a kind of selection process. A value preference.

tomishere, Welcome to Physics Forums! :) 

I think it is appropriate to describe modern languages as “continuously evolving”. And I think the “evolution” of English is today more rapid than ever before in history. This is because of the massive quantity of communications today (much of it in English) made possible by means of the electronic media. In ancient times languages were passed on only by word of mouth. Once we began to print books language remained “standardized” until those books were revised. Today we have the opportunity to bring new words into use rapidly by virtue of the vast reach of mass media communication; examples are radio, television, and the internet. Concurrently, many “old-fashioned” words become unpopular and get lost in the dustbin simply because they are not used by writers and speakers any longer.

I just found a paper that talks about a "lexical clock" (a la molecular clock) that i came across if anyone still interested in this http://www.cs.rice.edu/~nakhleh/Papers/UCSB09.pdf i can't figure out even after reading this if they established how fast the clock goes, its sort of too academic for me but its pretty intersting study they did

All languages "evolve" at varying rates. However English has the advantage of being the most spoken language on Earth as well as the language spoken by the worlds superpowers for hundreds of years. As the focal point of social, cultural and scientifical advancement English changes more than any other language on earth.

1. How did language evolve in humans?

The exact process of the evolution of language in humans is still a topic of debate among linguists and scientists. However, most theories suggest that language evolved gradually over time as a way for early humans to communicate and cooperate with each other.

2. What evidence supports the evolution of language?

There are several types of evidence that support the evolution of language, including fossil records, brain imaging studies, and comparisons of languages across different cultures. Additionally, the fact that all human societies have some form of language further supports the idea that it evolved in humans.

3. Can animals evolve language too?

While some animals, such as primates and birds, have complex communication systems, there is no evidence that they have evolved language in the same way that humans have. Language involves not only the ability to communicate, but also the ability to use and understand grammar and syntax, which is unique to humans.

4. How does the environment influence the evolution of language?

The environment plays a crucial role in the evolution of language. For example, environmental factors such as the need for cooperation and survival may have played a role in the development of complex communication systems. Additionally, different environments can lead to the development of different languages and dialects.

5. Can language continue to evolve?

Yes, language is constantly evolving and adapting to new situations and needs. This can be seen in the creation of new words and phrases, as well as changes in grammar and syntax over time. As human societies and their environments continue to change, language will also continue to evolve.