Definite Integration: Solving Homework Problem

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the student is stuck on a homework question involving integrating sin(1/x) and cos(1/x). They are given a trick to solve the equation for sin(1/x), which is -cos(1/x)/x^2.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Solve:
[tex]\int_{0}^{4/ \pi} 3x^2 \cdot sin(\frac{1}{x})-x \cdot cos(\frac{1}{x})dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck on this question because i really have no idea what should i be doing here with sin(1/x) and cos(1/x). I do not know how to integrate them. Even if i try to integrate by parts, i am stuck with these sin(1/x) and cos(1/x).

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, notice that you can split the integral into two different integrals. I will do one of them.

[tex]\int_{0}^{4/\pi}x\cos\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)\,dx=\int_{\pi/4}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(t)}{t^3}\,dt[/tex]

The expansion of this integral involves the cosine integral, the case with sine is not very different. This makes me think that the integral has no elementary expansion, but I'm not sure. There might be a way to do it without splitting the integral.

Millennial said:
The expansion of this integral involves the cosine integral, the case with sine is not very different.

I have no idea what you meant by the "cosine integral".
If i rewrite the expression as you said:
[tex]\int_{\pi/4}^{\infty} \frac{3\sin(t)}{t^4}-\frac{\cos(t)}{t^3}\,dt[/tex]
What should i be doing next?

The indefinite integral has no representation via elementary functions. The definite integral has to be computed in some other way, e.g., via the residue theorem of complex analysis.

voko said:
The indefinite integral has no representation via elementary functions. The definite integral has to be computed in some other way, e.g., via the residue theorem of complex analysis.

Well, if you plug in the indefinite integral in wolfram alpha, the answer it shows is x3sin(1/x).

I beg to differ ,
This question can be tackled , by using integration by parts ,
Let me give you a hint Pranav arora
If you integrate 3sin(t)/t^4 , using integration by parts.
Then one of two terms would be cos(t)/t^3 , which gets canceled . and you are left with a simple integral which can be solved very easily :)

Indeed. The addends cannot be integrated separately, but together the nicely cancel out the nasty part.

kushan said:
I beg to differ ,
This question can be tackled , by using integration by parts ,
Let me give you a hint Pranav arora
If you integrate 3sin(t)/t^4 , using integration by parts.
Then one of two terms would be cos(t)/t^3 , which gets canceled . and you are left with a simple integral which can be solved very easily :)

Excellent, thanks kushan! That really worked! :smile:

Your welcome :cool:

Nice trick, Kushan!

Pranav, you should think of a trick if you are given such a problem.

Try to consider the integrand as the derivative of a product (fg)=f'g+fg'.

3x^2 is the derivative of x^3. cos() is the derivative of sin(), so find the derivative of sin(1/x)... It is -cos(1/x)/x^2. f'g+fg'=3x^2sin(1/x)-x^2cos(1/x)1/x^2= 3x^2sin(1/x)-xcos(1/x)

ehild

ehild said:
3x^2 is the derivative of x^3. cos() is the derivative of sin(), so find the derivative of sin(1/x)...

Man, your trick made the question lot easier than before, thank you very much ehild! I will always try to use this wherever possible. :smile:

As for the derivative of sin(1/x), it is -1/(x2)*cos(1/x).
So according to the trick, the answer is x3sin(1/x). If i differentiate this, i get the same equation as mentioned in the question.

Right. Suck tricks are very useful in school, but hardly ever applicable in real life... Life is ugly.:tongue2:

ehild

ehild said:
3x^2 is the derivative of x^3. cos() is the derivative of sin(), so find the derivative of sin(1/x)... It is -cos(1/x)/x^2. f'g+fg'=3x^2sin(1/x)-x^2cos(1/x)1/x^2= 3x^2sin(1/x)-xcos(1/x)

ehild

Yes this is really helpful , and these kind of question are very common here , they look impossible though at first look .

What is definite integration?

Definite integration is a mathematical process used to find the exact area under a curve or between two curves. It involves finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it at specific limits or boundaries.

How is definite integration different from indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding a specific numerical value, while indefinite integration involves finding a general function with a constant of integration. In other words, definite integration gives a specific answer, while indefinite integration gives a family of possible answers.

What are the steps for solving a definite integration homework problem?

The steps for solving a definite integration homework problem are as follows:
1. Identify the function and the limits of integration.
2. Find the antiderivative of the function.
3. Substitute the upper and lower limits into the antiderivative.
4. Evaluate the resulting expression to find the numerical value.
5. Double check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving definite integration problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving definite integration problems include:
1. Forgetting to include the correct sign for the antiderivative.
2. Mixing up the order of the limits of integration.
3. Forgetting to substitute the limits into the antiderivative.
4. Misinterpreting the problem and using the wrong function to find the area.
5. Not double checking the answer for accuracy.

Can definite integration be used for more than just finding areas under curves?

Yes, definite integration can also be used to find the volume of a solid, the work done by a varying force, and the center of mass of an object, among other applications. It is a powerful tool in mathematics and is used in many fields, including engineering, physics, and economics.