Aerospace Engineering Degree

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for obtaining a degree in aerospace engineering. It is mentioned that some universities offer a specific degree in aerospace engineering, while others offer a degree in mechanical engineering with a focus on aerospace. It is also noted that the first two years of these programs are typically similar.
wallster
Hello, I am new here and joined this forum so I could get an answer to this question: Do you have to start in an aerospace engineering program to get a degree in it? Or could you start in mechanical engineering, and then transfer over to aerospace? I am trying to figure out schools and such and am very limited, seeing as most have mechanical instead of aerospace engineering degrees offered. Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, usually the first two years of mechanical and aeronautical engineering are identical. My undergraduate university actually offered a degree in "Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering".

My university offers a separate degree in aerospace engineering, but a lot of people switch to and from mechanical. The first two years of an undergraduate degree are largely the same between aero and mech e.

A lot of schools just offer mechanical with a minor or focus in aerospace, and a lot of mechanicals work in aerospace fields.

1. What is an Aerospace Engineering degree?

An Aerospace Engineering degree is an undergraduate program that focuses on the design, development, and construction of aircraft, spacecraft, and other related systems. It combines principles from both mechanical and electrical engineering to create advanced technologies for the aerospace industry.

2. What are the career opportunities with an Aerospace Engineering degree?

Graduates with an Aerospace Engineering degree can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including aerospace and defense, aviation, space exploration, and research and development. They can work as engineers, designers, analysts, project managers, or researchers in these fields.

3. What skills do I need to have to pursue an Aerospace Engineering degree?

An aptitude for math and science is essential for an Aerospace Engineering degree. In addition, students should have strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to work in a team. Good communication skills and attention to detail are also important for success in this field.

4. What courses will I take in an Aerospace Engineering degree program?

Some common courses in an Aerospace Engineering degree program include aerodynamics, flight mechanics, propulsion systems, materials and structures, control systems, and aerospace design. Students may also have the opportunity to specialize in a specific area, such as aircraft design, spacecraft systems, or aerospace manufacturing.

5. What are the benefits of getting an Aerospace Engineering degree?

An Aerospace Engineering degree offers a range of benefits, including strong job prospects, high salaries, and opportunities for professional growth and advancement. Graduates can also contribute to the advancement of technology in the aerospace industry and play a crucial role in shaping the future of air and space travel.