Most promising form of space propulsion?

In summary, the conversation discusses new approaches to spacecraft propulsion and asks for guidance on potentially superior alternatives to chemical propellant. Some of the proposed methods mentioned include ion thrusters, nuclear and electric propulsion, VASIMIR plasma rocket, and solar sails. However, there are significant engineering challenges and no current solutions for interstellar travel.
merovingian12
Hello,

I'm a second year physics student and I'm interested in new approaches to spacecraft propulsion. I apologize if this has been asked many times - while this interest may be partially inspired by science fiction, I am well aware that the real-life situation is not at all as glamorous. But, I would still like to make a contribution of some sort.

I would be very grateful if someone who is in the know could give me some guidance. What are some of the potentially superior alternatives to chemical propellant? I'm vaguely aware of ion thrusters as well as nuclear and electric propulsion, but that's about it. Are there any other proposed methods? Do any of them seem particularly promising?

Thank you very much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should specify whether you mean propulsion for earth-to-orbit, for orbital maneuvers, or for potentially both. That'll help get the ball rolling in a more specific direction.

I was thinking more along the lines of interplanetary and interstellar travel in general, so potentially both of those would play a role.

With regard to interstellar travel, who knows. We have *nothing* that even approaches that capability now, and there's nothing on the horizon that approaches it, either.

With regard to interplanetary travel, are you asking about automated probes or vehicles capable of carrying humans? Machines can tolerate years or even decades to move from point A to point B in space. Humans can't.

The nearest propulsion advance for higher speed interplanetary transits is the VASIMIR plasma rocket concept.
This is at the demo stage, although afaik no full scale unit has been built and no model has been space tested.

There have been other concepts using nuclear reactors to provide rocket energy from hot hydrogen, but the engineering problems of keeping a reactor together while red or white hot with a torrent of hot gas rushing through it have proved daunting.

AS DH points out, for automated probes low power plasma is very efficient propulsion and by judicious course selection to take advantage of the various gravity fields, probes can go a very long way in the solar system on a relatively minute fuel supply.

For interstellar travel, there are science fiction proposals using square mile sized solar sails or spaceships powered by a stream of nuclear explosions ( See Project Daedalus) but 'nothing' really even close to tangible.

1. What is the most promising form of space propulsion currently being researched?

The most promising form of space propulsion currently being researched is the use of ion engines. These engines use electrically charged particles to generate thrust, allowing for longer and more efficient space travel.

2. How does ion propulsion differ from traditional chemical propulsion?

Ion propulsion differs from traditional chemical propulsion in that it does not rely on burning fuel to create thrust. Instead, it uses electricity to accelerate ions, resulting in a much higher exhaust velocity and therefore more efficient propulsion.

3. What are the potential benefits of using ion propulsion for space travel?

The potential benefits of using ion propulsion for space travel include faster travel times, reduced fuel consumption, and the ability to reach greater distances in space. This could lead to more exploration and potentially new discoveries.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to using ion propulsion?

One of the main challenges of ion propulsion is the low amount of thrust it produces, which makes it unsuitable for launching spacecraft from Earth's surface. It also requires a large power source, which can be a limitation for smaller spacecraft.

5. Is ion propulsion currently being used in any space missions?

Yes, ion propulsion has been used in several space missions, including NASA's Dawn spacecraft which explored the asteroids Vesta and Ceres. It is also being used in the NASA's Deep Space 1 and the European Space Agency's BepiColombo missions.