Dust-born Bacteria, Fungus, & Viruses

• Thread starter SOS2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bacteria
In summary, ASU is conducting research regarding the decreasing number of amphibian species, as well as coral reefs and asthma.
SOS2008
Gold Member
Research is being conducted at ASU regarding the decreasing number of amphibian species due to Batrachochytrium Dendrobatidis, which I believe is a virus. Elsewhere research has been conducted regarding loss of coral reefs, specifically sea fan disease. In relation to the sea fan disease, recently asthma is being found among children in Trinidad, previously uncommon. Both the coral reefs and humans are being affected by dust blowing across the Atlantic from Africa containing a common soil fungus called Aspergillus (due to drought in Africa, possibly an effect of global warming).

But my thought/question is that dust being blown around the globe may be the cause of many things, and while plants and life forms such as amphibians may show effects first, it would seem the increase of asthma everywhere is an early indicator in humans. Is there any cooperation of research to see if there is a connection? Just wondering...

Biology news on Phys.org
SOS, can you clarify your question? Do you want to know about this specific issue with Aspergillus (which may be better suited for discussion in biology), or do you want to know about the politics of international research efforts (in which case this is the right place to continue the discussion)?

Moonbear said:
SOS, can you clarify your question? Do you want to know about this specific issue with Aspergillus (which may be better suited for discussion in biology), or do you want to know about the politics of international research efforts (in which case this is the right place to continue the discussion)?
I meant to post this in biology, so made a request to move this post there. My question is more about different findings in different parts of the world and whether there may be any connection between these findings. (Thanks.)

I was wondering why this was in politics. Moved. :smile:

1. How do dust-born bacteria, fungus, and viruses affect our health?

Dust-born bacteria, fungus, and viruses can cause a variety of health issues, ranging from mild respiratory irritation to severe infections. Some individuals may be more susceptible to these microorganisms, such as those with weakened immune systems or respiratory disorders.

2. Where do dust-born bacteria, fungus, and viruses come from?

Dust-born bacteria, fungus, and viruses can come from a variety of sources, including the air, soil, and decaying organic matter. They can also be introduced into the environment through human or animal activities, such as coughing, sneezing, or shedding of skin cells.

3. How can we prevent the spread of dust-born microorganisms in our homes?

To prevent the spread of dust-born microorganisms in our homes, it is important to regularly clean and dust surfaces, vacuum carpets and upholstery, and control humidity levels. It is also important to maintain good personal hygiene, such as washing hands regularly and covering the mouth when coughing or sneezing.

4. Can dust-born microorganisms be beneficial?

Yes, some dust-born microorganisms can be beneficial. For example, certain bacteria and fungi can help break down organic matter and improve soil quality. In addition, exposure to some microorganisms can also help strengthen the immune system.

5. Are there any specific groups of people who are at higher risk for infections from dust-born microorganisms?

Individuals with weakened immune systems, respiratory disorders, or allergies may be at higher risk for infections from dust-born microorganisms. In addition, those who live or work in environments with poor air quality or high levels of dust may also be at increased risk.

Back