What is the effective interest rate per period for compounding semiannually?

In summary, the financial world is confusing, and you can't make sense of it without the definitions.
ainster31

Homework Statement

I have borrowed $100. The interest rate is 5% per year compounded semiannually. How much will I have to pay the bank after 1 year?

Homework Equations

##F=P(1+i)^{ n }##, where i is the effective interest rate per period and n represents the number of periods

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I get the effective interest rate per period?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ainster31 said:

Homework Statement

I have borrowed $100. The interest rate is 5% per year compounded semiannually. How much will I have to pay the bank after 1 year?

Homework Equations

##F=P(1+i)^{ n }##, where i is the effective interest rate per period and n represents the number of periods

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I get the effective interest rate per period?

Shouldn't that just be the nominal annual rate (5%) divided by the number of compounding periods? What's the number of periods here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious3141 said:
Shouldn't that just be the nominal annual rate (5%) divided by the number of compounding periods? What's the number of periods here?

The textbook says that 5% interest every year compounded semiannually is the same as 2.5% interest every 6 months. But I don't understand how they're equivalent. How can you just divide by two?

ainster31 said:
The textbook says that 5% interest every year compounded semiannually is the same as 2.5% interest every 6 months. But I don't understand how they're equivalent. How can you just divide by two?

Because this is apparently how economists and finance people think. :yuck:

The 5% is called a 'nominal' *annual* rate. Dividing it by the number of compounding periods gives you an 'effective' *period* rate. Applying an exponential formula to it will give you the 'effective' *annual* rate.

That 5% quoted to you is actually a "fake" rate, meant to lull you into a false sense of security. The 2.5% every 6 months is a real thing, and it's simple to work out the actual compound interest you'll be paying at the end of the year. When you do the calculation, you'll find it's actually a little higher than 5%. That's basically how they pull the wool over your eyes when you take a loan without realising how much you'll actually end up owing. Of course, it works in your favour if you're actually investing and those are returns rather than a debt you're repaying.

You can look all this up easily on the web. It's just a matter of getting used to the (dumb) terminology.

Likes 1 person
Curious3141 said:
Because this is apparently how economists and finance people think. :yuck:

The 5% is called a 'nominal' *annual* rate. Dividing it by the number of compounding periods gives you an 'effective' *period* rate. Applying an exponential formula to it will give you the 'effective' *annual* rate.

That 5% quoted to you is actually a "fake" rate, meant to lull you into a false sense of security. The 2.5% every 6 months is a real thing, and it's simple to work out the actual compound interest you'll be paying at the end of the year. When you do the calculation, you'll find it's actually a little higher than 5%. That's basically how they pull the wool over your eyes when you take a loan without realising how much you'll actually end up owing. Of course, it works in your favour if you're actually investing and those are returns rather than a debt you're repaying.

You can look all this up easily on the web. It's just a matter of getting used to the (dumb) terminology.

Ah, that explains why there were no formulas that dealt with nominal interest rates - only effective interest rates. Thanks for the clarification.

ainster31 said:

You are right to be confused: 2.5% compounded twice produces a true annual interest rate of about 5.0625%. Nevertheless, the convention suggested in your problem is the one that is used throughout the banking and finance industries. So, a mortgage with 12% annual rate, compounded monthly, yields 1% per month---by the definitions of the financial world---which amounts to an 'actual' annual rate of about 12.6825%.

1. How is compound interest calculated?

Compound interest is calculated by multiplying the principal amount by the interest rate, and then adding that amount to the principal. This new total is then used to calculate the interest for the next period.

2. What is the formula for calculating compound interest?

The formula for calculating compound interest is A = P(1 + r/n)^nt, where A is the final amount, P is the principal amount, r is the annual interest rate, n is the number of times interest is compounded per year, and t is the number of years.

3. How often is compound interest compounded?

Compound interest is typically compounded annually, but it can also be compounded semi-annually, quarterly, or monthly. The more frequently it is compounded, the higher the final amount will be.

4. Can compound interest be negative?

Yes, compound interest can be negative if the interest rate is negative. This means that instead of earning interest, the amount will decrease over time.

5. How can I use compound interest to my advantage?

Compound interest can work in your favor if you are saving or investing money. By earning interest on your initial investment, your money can grow significantly over time. It is important to start early and contribute regularly to take full advantage of compound interest.