Solving the Twin Paradox with General Relativity

In summary, General Relativity deals with gravity perfectly and also has the concept of local Lorentz transformations for accelerated frames. The twin paradox can be solved using proper time integration along world lines and there are easier methods to solve it. Misner, Thorne, Wheeler discuss coordinate systems for accelerated observers in their book "Gravitation", but it requires a basic familiarity with 4-velocity and tensor notation. There are also ways to transform between Fermi Normal coordinate systems, but it may require a more advanced understanding. In GR, gravitation and accelerated frames are separate problems, but locally there is no physical distinction between them.
quangtu123
I have read some basics knowledge about General Relativity and I see that it deal perfectly with gravity. But what about accelerated frames? Is there something similar to Lorentz Transformation for accelerated frame in General Relativity? (so that i can solve, maybe, the general twin paradox)

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
quangtu123 said:
But what about accelerated frames? Is there something similar to Lorentz Transformation for accelerated frame in General Relativity? (so that i can solve, maybe, the general twin paradox)

You don't need Lorentz transformations to solve the generalized twin paradox but regardless, given an accelerating world-line ##\gamma## and another world-line (accelerating or freely falling) ##\tilde{\gamma}## and an event ##p## at which ##\gamma,\tilde{\gamma}## intersect, one can perform a Lorentz transformation from the instantaneous rest frame of ##\gamma## at ##p## to the instantaneous rest frame of ##\tilde{\gamma}## at ##p## in the exact same way one Lorentz boosts from one inertial frame to another in SR. In the context of accelerated frames and curved space-times these are called local Lorentz transformations. Local Lorentz transformations act on tetrad indices of frames transported along ##\gamma##; one can also perform coordinate transformations of various kinds (e.g. non-rotating to rotating coordinates) and these act on coordinate indices.

Do you have something more specific in mind?

Likes 1 person
The twin paradox can be solved more simply, in my opinion, by simply integrating the differential proper time ##d\tau_\gamma## along each world line ##\gamma## and ##\gamma'##. The result is simply:

$$\tau_\gamma = \int_\gamma \sqrt{g_{\mu\nu}\frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau}\frac{d x^\nu}{d\tau}}d\tau$$

quangtu123 said:
I have read some basics knowledge about General Relativity and I see that it deal perfectly with gravity. But what about accelerated frames? Is there something similar to Lorentz Transformation for accelerated frame in General Relativity? (so that i can solve, maybe, the general twin paradox)

Thank you!

Misner, Thorne, Wheeler, in "Gravitation", chapter six, go through and compute a coordinate system for an accelerated observer, which they occasionally call a frame (as in, for instance "Constraints on the Frame of an Accelerated Observer"). Note that as the above title indicates, said coordinate system is only local, it doesn't cover all of space time. MTW discusses in detail why this is a general limitation on any accelerated coordinate system. Knowing that this limit exists is an important first step in understanding accelerated coordinates and/or frames.

There are MUCH easier ways to "solve" the twin paradox - however, the section in MTW is worthwhile if you have the necessary background and are interested in accelerated frames and/or coordinates. It requires a basic familiarity with 4-velocity and the tensor notation, however. (The topic itself could be handled without the notation, in my opinion, but MTW"s treatment of the topic uses tensor notation).

The coordinate system that MTW calculates for a uniformly accelerated observer is basically equivalent to what's known as Fermi Normal coordinates. There do exist (complex) ways of transforming Fermi Normal coordinates from observer to observer, see for instance H Nikolic, "Notes on covariant quantities in noninertial frames and invariance of radiation in classical and quantum field theory" http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9909035, section 2 of which is "Coordinate transformation between two Fermi frames". Nikolic's paper will require much more than a basic knowledge to read, however.

One more comment. There are fairly simple formula for transforming between frame fields in GR, because frame fields are linear. However, the point of frame fields is that they only depend on velocity , so the nonlinear effects of acceleration aren't handled.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you so much!
Before when I read science-popular books I thought in GR we will deal with accelerated frames (by instantaneous inertial frames and SR, as explaining the twin paradox); put it into equivalence principle and then we have a theory of gravitation.
Now I think gravitation and accelerated frames are 2 separated problems in GR.

quangtu123 said:
Now I think gravitation and accelerated frames are 2 separated problems in GR.

Accelerated frames are just facets of SR. They carry over unchanged into GR. The only novel thing (granted a profoundly novel thing) in GR is the identification of gravity with space-time curvature and the use of the equivalence principle to locally identify non-rotating freely falling frames with the inertial frames of SR.

1. What is the Twin Paradox?

The Twin Paradox is a thought experiment in the theory of relativity, which explores the concept of time dilation. It involves two twins, one who stays on Earth and the other who travels into space at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth due to the effects of time dilation.

2. How does General Relativity solve the Twin Paradox?

General Relativity provides a framework for understanding how gravity can affect the passage of time. It explains that time is not fixed, but rather can be affected by the presence of massive objects. In the case of the Twin Paradox, the traveling twin experiences time dilation due to their high-speed travel and the gravitational pull of the Earth, causing them to age slower than the twin on Earth.

3. Is the Twin Paradox a real phenomenon or just a thought experiment?

The Twin Paradox is a thought experiment used to illustrate the principles of relativity. While it is not a real-life scenario, the effects of time dilation have been observed and confirmed through experiments involving high-speed travel and extremely accurate atomic clocks.

4. Can the Twin Paradox be explained without General Relativity?

No, the Twin Paradox relies on the principles of General Relativity to fully explain the effects of time dilation. Without this theory, the paradox would not be as accurately explained and understood.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Twin Paradox and General Relativity?

Yes, General Relativity and the concept of time dilation have real-life applications in various fields, including space travel and satellite navigation systems. The effects of time dilation must be taken into account when calculating precise measurements and navigating through space.