Reconstruct A from its reduced eigenparis

• Thread starter jollage
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of eigenmodes for a matrix A_{N\times N}, where V and \Lambda are the corresponding eigenvectors and eigenvalues. The eigenvalues are in descending order and some of the eigenmodes are cut off to reduce the size to A V_{N \times n} = V_{N \times n} \Lambda_{n \times n}. The goal is to reconstruct A from V_{N \times n}, \Lambda_{n \times n}, but it is not possible for an arbitrary matrix A. However, it can be done using the singular value decomposition or if A is Hermitian.
jollage
Hi all,

Suppose I have a matrix [itex] A_{N\times N}[/itex]. I compute its eigenmodes

[itex] A V = V \Lambda[/itex].

[itex] V, \Lambda[/itex] are eigenvectors and eigenvalues of size [itex] N\times N [/itex]. The eigenvalues are descending.

Now I cut off several eigenmodes (the ones having small value), it becomes

[itex] A V_{N \times n} = V_{N \times n} \Lambda_{n \times n}[/itex].

What I want is to reconstruct [itex]A[/itex] from [itex] V_{N \times n}, \Lambda_{n \times n}[/itex].

It seems that in Matlab, if I just modify the above equation

[itex] A = V_{N \times n} \Lambda_{n \times n}V^{-1}_{N \times n}[/itex],

it will not work.

So my question is: how can I reliably reconstruct the original matrix by using its reduced eigenmodes? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can do this for an arbitrary matrix ##A##. It's not clear what you mean by ##V_{N\times m}^{-1}## for a non-square matrix ##V_{N\times m}##.

You can do something similar with the singular value decomposition ##A = U\Sigma V^T## where ##U## and ##V## are unitary matrices.

You can also do what you want if ##A## is Hermitian, because ##V^{-1} = V^T##.

1. What is the purpose of reconstructing A from its reduced eigenpairs?

The purpose of reconstructing A from its reduced eigenpairs is to simplify a large matrix into a smaller one while still maintaining its essential properties. This can make calculations and analyses more efficient and manageable.

2. How do you reconstruct A from its reduced eigenpairs?

To reconstruct A from its reduced eigenpairs, you first need to obtain the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the original matrix A. Then, you can use these values to create a new matrix B, which is the product of the eigenvectors and the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues. Finally, you can obtain the reconstructed matrix A' by taking the inverse transformation of B.

3. What are the advantages of using reduced eigenpairs to reconstruct A?

Using reduced eigenpairs to reconstruct A has several advantages. It can simplify a large matrix, making calculations and analyses more efficient. It can also help identify patterns and trends in the data, making it easier to understand and interpret. Additionally, it can reduce the computational complexity of algorithms that use A, making them faster and more accurate.

4. Are there any limitations to reconstructing A from its reduced eigenpairs?

Yes, there are some limitations to reconstructing A from its reduced eigenpairs. One limitation is that the resulting matrix A' will not be exactly the same as the original matrix A. This is because some information is lost during the reduction process. Additionally, the quality of the reconstruction depends on the number of eigenpairs used and the accuracy of the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. How is the reconstructed matrix A' used in scientific research?

The reconstructed matrix A' can be used in various scientific research applications. It can be used to analyze large datasets, such as in machine learning or data mining. It can also be used in signal processing to extract meaningful patterns or features from signals. In addition, it can be used in structural analysis to model complex systems and predict their behavior.