Can You Solve the 9 Dots Puzzle?

• Thread starter Rahmuss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, this conversation was about a brain teaser that involves connecting 9 dots with only 4 straight lines without lifting the pencil or mouse. Many people remember this puzzle from grade school and it is an example of thinking outside the box. Some people were recently discussing it in school or with friends. The solution involves using 4 lines and manipulating the paper or assuming the lines can be something other than straight. It is not possible to solve with 3 lines. The dots are circular and the solution involves starting at the top of the first dot, crossing the middle of the second dot, and touching the bottom of the third dot, and then repeating the pattern for the remaining dots. A link to an article about the brain teaser is also provided
Rahmuss
Physics news on Phys.org
I remember it from grade school too. A real example of thinking outside the box.

Funny, we were doing this very problem in school today :tongue:

Very funny, I was talking about this one with friends at Uni today!

As jimmy said, it's definitely one to think outside the box on.

I did this in psychology class last year, outside the box is right.

This one is pretty cool.

Yea, i also learned this from the grad, i think you people and people in my country was quite different, but then this is the same thing we done then...

is there is any out side the box puzzle, it is really interesting

LOL... that's so funny that so many people were recently doing this one, or had learned it the same way I did. That's great. Well it's a classic then. :biggrin:

Anyone who has not learned it previously have an answer for it?

Hmm, how abt this?

-- AI

Attachments

• 9dots4bl.gif
    9dots4bl.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 805
That's the one. :smile:

I'm still puzzling over it, and the forum still refuses to let me view attachments in the brain teasers board. Can anyone describe the answer to me or post an off-site link?

Edit- never mind, googled it.

Last edited:
click on the link and then click on log off. Then the image will appear.

wow, that's a real nice bug

Wow, I think that's one of the few brainteasers I've gotten within seconds of looking at it... but it wasn't really thinking outside of the box, there were still four 2D lines...

I wonder if the hints helped. :smile:

Well, you can do fun things like folding/bending the paper to get even fewer lines.

The dots aren't points (infinitely small) so you can do it in three if you make the line segments very very long.

Oh man, for some reason i thought you can't cross the line that you already drew. Otherwise i would have solved it.

i can't get it

Nvm i got it. Finally.

To view attachments you just need to click on it, then when you get the "You need blah blah blah" press logout.

Incase you don't feel like loging out then inn agian I upped TenaliRamans photo to imageshack(I hope that was okay, TenaliRamans ;).
http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/4090/9dots4bl0er.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this puzzle has already been solved.
Can anyone do it with three straight lines without lifting the pen or pencil?

dipinsingh said:
I think this puzzle has already been solved.
Can anyone do it with three straight lines without lifting the pen or pencil?

I think it should be pretty clear that it's not possible with 3, unless something like:

- you have a REALLY thick pen
- you can manipulate the paper (bend, fold, tear, etc)
- you assume "straight" lines can be something else like "y=2" in polar coordinates
- etc.

Some playing around will demonstrate that you cannot connect more than 3 dots with a single straight line in this example. Hence, your first line can connect 3 dots, and each subsequent line can add as many as 2 additional dots to your connection. So 3 lines will allow you to connect 3+2+2=7 dots, and 4 lines will allow you to connect 3+2+2+2=9 dots.

DaveE

davee123 said:
I think it should be pretty clear that it's not possible with 3, unless something like:

- you have a REALLY thick pen
- you can manipulate the paper (bend, fold, tear, etc)
- you assume "straight" lines can be something else like "y=2" in polar coordinates
- etc.

Some playing around will demonstrate that you cannot connect more than 3 dots with a single straight line in this example. Hence, your first line can connect 3 dots, and each subsequent line can add as many as 2 additional dots to your connection. So 3 lines will allow you to connect 3+2+2=7 dots, and 4 lines will allow you to connect 3+2+2+2=9 dots.

DaveE

Please note that these are not points but circular dots which can be joined by three straight lines even without thick pen.
Just start from top of first dot, cross from middle of second dot and touch bottom of third dot and extend up to some point such that when u can draw a straight line back joining top of last dot in middle line, centre of middle dot of middle line and then bottom of first dot of middle line.
Similarly draw third line for bottom line dots.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1821/3linessmallwc9.png [Broken]

1. What is the 9 Dots Puzzle?

The 9 Dots Puzzle is a popular logic puzzle that involves connecting 9 dots arranged in a 3x3 grid with only 4 straight lines without lifting your pen or pencil.

2. How do you solve the 9 Dots Puzzle?

To solve the 9 Dots Puzzle, you must think outside the box and extend your lines beyond the boundaries of the 3x3 grid. This means that your lines can go beyond the dots and off the grid.

3. Why is the 9 Dots Puzzle considered difficult?

The 9 Dots Puzzle is considered difficult because it requires you to break a preconceived notion or mental barrier of staying within the boundaries of the 3x3 grid. Many people struggle to think outside the box and extend their lines beyond the dots.

4. Are there any strategies for solving the 9 Dots Puzzle?

Yes, there are a few common strategies for solving the 9 Dots Puzzle. One is to start by drawing diagonal lines from corner to corner, which creates a larger space to work with. Another is to try connecting the dots in a specific order, such as a spiral or zigzag pattern.

5. Why is the 9 Dots Puzzle important in problem-solving?

The 9 Dots Puzzle is important in problem-solving because it challenges individuals to think outside the box and break away from traditional ways of approaching problems. It encourages creativity, critical thinking, and the ability to see beyond the obvious solutions.