Is the Filibuster an Outdated Practice or a Necessary Safeguard?

• Thread starter SOS2008
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation delves into various opinions on the filibuster. Some see it as a necessary tool for democracy, while others view it as an obstacle to progress. Some even use it as a metaphor for their personal experiences, such as Viola who advocates for less talk and more action. The conversation also touches upon the idea of a new form of democracy, one that is based on mathematical and economic principles rather than traditional political structures.
SOS2008
Gold Member
Some people view the filibuster as a vital democratic tool, but others see it as an unnecessary impediment to legislative progress. What do you think?

Lillie Moon, Doctor
"Wait—wouldn't the Democrats be able to filibuster the bill to change the filibustering rules?"

Louis Knapp, Probation Officer
"I think it's time America moved past this 'checks and balances' idea and fully embraced our 'unlimited line of credit' society."

Timothy Landry, Systems Analyst
"The filibuster, eh? That reminds me of the baking-powder biscuits my dear old grandmother used to make. First, she'd take shortening... Now, keep in mind, the more shortening you use, the flakier the biscuits will be. My, all of us kids used to love these biscuits. The secret is to not over-knead the dough, because it makes the biscuits tough, and nobody likes tough biscuits. If you sprinkle a little..."

Gordon Richmond, Plumber
"I use filibusters in my day-to-day life. They help you get out of all kinds of stuff, like taking out the garbage or having children."

Derek Meadows, Factory Operator
"Do filibusters have anything to do with the word 'quorum'? Because I totally remember that word, too."

Viola Ellison, Fashion Designer
"I'm not positive where I stand on filibusters, but as a longtime proponent of 'less talk, more rock,' I assume I'm against them."
From The Onion -- This cracked me up. Here's mine:

SOS, PF Addict
"I really like the "Blizzard" at DQ, and can't wait to try the "Filibuster."

Physics news on Phys.org
whew, thank god I'm not like evo and drink at the computer

Here's another one:

SOS, PF Addict
"Another fad diet? I don't usually go in for those things. But I think I may try the filibuster, because I've been gaining weight since joining PF."

"how do you fill doughnuts mommy?"
"you use the fillabuster"
"oh"
"stick this there, don't use it too much, or you'll ruin everything"

The filibuster is the coolest ride at magic mountain down south

heh you guys complaining about filibuster.

it IS a democratic process, a part of its set anyway

this raises a good question - is democracy obsolete? should rising governments without corruption adopt a new form of democracy - a mathematical-economical based system that separates religion, hypocracy, beuracracy and free enterprises from its core?

the mathematical models needed to make exact legislatives were not possible in 17-21 centuries, however with today's advent of super computers it should be possible to make exact statistical multivariable models with exact data of population and predict exactly how the resources must be spent. Perhaps as a rule of thumb if a country has a 2-children law it would even be better. People should not reproduce like rabbits - 2 children per family should be enough in most cases.

If a given set of exact rules are set and kept and families don't split as often as they would under normal circumstances due to religion or economic hardships, then it should be possible to create a utopian society with a very conservative set of rules and regulations and extreme liberalism.

Keeping the government at bay and on leash of the constitutional principles is a top priority in such societies and filibusting won't even be possible due to mathematical principles which would govern the policies

yomamma said:
"how do you fill doughnuts mommy?"
"you use the fillabuster"
"oh"
"stick this there, don't use it too much, or you'll ruin everything"
I've had my fili with the holes in your theories buster! :biggrin:
Pengwuino said:
The filibuster is the coolest ride at magic mountain down south
:rofl: Yeh, talk about being taken for a ride--you stand in line for 15 minutes for something you forget about a minute later.
cronxeh said:
...a new form of democracy - a mathematical-economical based system that separates religion, hypocracy, beuracracy and free enterprises from its core?
Ooooo, cool! :cool:

What is Congressional Filibuster?

Congressional Filibuster is a legislative tactic used in the United States Senate to delay or block a vote on a proposed bill. It involves a Senator speaking for an extended period of time in order to prevent the Senate from moving forward with a vote.

How long can a Senator speak during a Filibuster?

There is no set time limit for a Senator to speak during a Filibuster. However, they must continue speaking without breaks in order to maintain control of the Senate floor.

What is the purpose of a Filibuster?

The purpose of a Filibuster is to delay or block the passage of a bill by preventing a vote. It can also be used as a way for Senators to bring attention to a particular issue or to negotiate for changes to the proposed legislation.

Can a Filibuster be ended?

Yes, a Filibuster can be ended through a process called cloture, where a supermajority of 60 Senators vote to end debate and move on to a vote on the bill.

Is the Filibuster used in the House of Representatives as well?

No, the Filibuster is specific to the Senate and is not used in the House of Representatives. The House has its own set of rules and procedures for debate and voting on proposed legislation.

Back