Finding particle data on the higgs resonance width?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for data on estimates for the Higgs resonance width and potential sources for this information. Suggestions are given for contacting researchers and potential resources such as the Higgs Hunter's Guide and a TESLA design document. The conversation also touches on different modes for producing the Higgs, such as vector boson fusion and singular off-shell bosons.
fliptomato
Greetings--I'm looking for data on estimates for the Higgs resonance width and I'm not quite sure where to look. I've checked the "Review of Particle Properties" and the Particle Data Group website, but I couldn't find an estimate for the higgs width.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Flip

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm does it has sense? I mean, electron positron can aniquilate into a Z0, then the Z0 can decay into anything. How does it works with the higgs?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's graphed here:

http://acfahep.kek.jp/acfareport/node30.html

Some useful info for Arivero there too. For my final year undergrad project, I looked into Higgs self coupling processes, namely the following:

e+e- --> Z*
Z* --> ZH*
Z --> mu mu~
H* --> HH
HH --> bb~ bb~

It can couple to just about everthing, really...

fliptomato said:
Greetings--I'm looking for data on estimates for the Higgs resonance width and I'm not quite sure where to look. I've checked the "Review of Particle Properties" and the Particle Data Group website, but I couldn't find an estimate for the higgs width.

The most recent review I know of is:

1) HIGGS BOSON THEORY AND PHENOMENOLOGY.
By Marcela Carena (Fermilab), Howard E. Haber (UC, Santa Cruz),. FERMILAB-PUB-02-114-T, SCIPP-02-07, Aug 2002. 87pp.
Published in Prog.Part.Nucl.Phys.50:63-152,2003
e-Print Archive: hep-ph/0208209

If you can find a copy, the Higgs Hunter's Guide is very good (I found one for $5 in an used book store! )

THE HIGGS HUNTER'S GUIDE.
By John F. Gunion (UC, Davis), Howard E. Haber (UC, Santa Cruz), Gordon L. Kane (Michigan U.), Sally Dawson (Brookhaven),. SCIPP-89/13, UCD-89-4, BNL-41644, Jun 1989. 404pp.

arivero said:
Hmm does it has sense? I mean, electron positron can aniquilate into a Z0, then the Z0 can decay into anything. How does it works with the higgs?

Generally, people are just thinking of the Higgs total (or partial) decay widths. You can produce a Higgs resonantly in vector boson fusion:

W^+ W^- -> H -> X

where X is generally b-bbar or WW or ZZ (depending on the Higgs mass), although many searches use the gamma-gamma mode. The W bosons are produced by radiation off an incoming fermion (electron or quark, depending on the collider). This is one of the best ways to study Higgs properties at a linear collider.

It can come from a singular off-shell boson too, though. That's another important Linac mode (specifically the Z*-->H*-->HH, and such like, self couplings). There's a TESLA design document about it kicking around. Ref [7] in http://www.newerawd.co.uk/report.pdf has a URL.

James Jackson said:
It can come from a singular off-shell boson too, though. That's another important Linac mode (specifically the Z*-->H*-->HH, and such like, self couplings). There's a TESLA design document about it kicking around. Ref [7] in http://www.newerawd.co.uk/report.pdf has a URL.

How does that work? Do you mean Z* -> ZH*, (which is of course an important mode at the ILC)?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean, and a process I was looking at last year.

Edit: To expand, I was looking at using neural networks to tag B decay jets, and using the technique to estimate the accuracy of the e+e- --> Z* --> ZH* --> mu+ mu- HH --> bb~ bb~ cross section measurement.

It worked, but clearly as the Z --> mu+ mu- branching ratio is rather small (3.6% or something like that, off the top of my head), the cross section was rather small, so the errors on just that technique rather large. Proof of concept worked though.

Last edited:

1. What is the higgs resonance width?

The higgs resonance width is a measure of the width of the peak in a particle's energy spectrum. It is often used to describe the decay rate of the higgs boson, which is an elementary particle in the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How is the higgs resonance width measured?

The higgs resonance width is typically measured through high-energy particle collisions, such as those at the Large Hadron Collider. Scientists analyze the decay products of the higgs boson and use that data to calculate the higgs resonance width.

3. Why is the higgs resonance width important?

The higgs resonance width is important because it provides valuable information about the properties of the higgs boson. It can also help confirm or refute theories about the nature of the higgs boson and its interaction with other particles.

4. What factors can affect the higgs resonance width?

The higgs resonance width can be affected by a variety of factors, including the energy of the particle collisions, the strength of the interaction between the higgs boson and other particles, and the presence of other new particles that may interact with the higgs boson.

5. How does the higgs resonance width impact our understanding of the universe?

The higgs resonance width is an important aspect of the Standard Model of particle physics, which helps us understand the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. By studying the higgs resonance width, scientists can gain a better understanding of the underlying principles that govern our universe.