How to Pronounce Mathematical Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct pronunciations of mathematical symbols such as V_o, V_i, and V_f. The first is pronounced "v not" while the others are pronounced "V sub i" and "V sub x". It is also mentioned that the word "naught" is often used instead of "o" and the pronunciation of "Lebesgue" is discussed. According to the French, it is pronounced as "Luh-Beg" but elsewhere it is closer to "Leh-beg". Additional resources for proper mathematical pronunciation are also provided.
Weather Freak
Hey folks, I wasn't sure where to post this, but hopefully this is okay. I've always wondered how the following symbols are pronounced:

[tex]V_o[/tex]
[tex]V_i[/tex]
[tex]V_f[/tex]

and whatnot. I think I've heard the first pronouced "v not" and the others pronounced "V sub i" and "V sub x" but I'm wondering if this is correct.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Those pronounciations are just fine.

Weather Freak said:

[tex]V_o[/tex]
I think I've heard the first pronouced "v not" ...
Note that the actual word being pronounced is "naught", a synonym for nothing or 0, not o.

thanks folks, that's just what i wanted to know :biggrin:

While we're at it, would anyone like to tell me how to pronounce "Lebesgue"?

"Stieltjes" would be nice too. :rofl:

hypermorphism said:
"Stieltjes" would be nice too. :rofl:

That one I know! It's STEELT-yes.

OK, buddy, quid pro quo: Give me Lebesgue.

According to the French, it's Luh-Beg, where Le is pronounced as the definite article "le". Elsewhere, it's pronounced closer to Leh-beg.

"Mathematics Pronunciation Guide - A Megametamathematical Guide, for the Diacritally Challenged, of the Proper American English Pronunciation of Terms and Names"
http://waukesha.uwc.edu/mat/kkromare/up.html
http://waukesha.uwc.edu/mat/kkromare/main.html [with frames]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you pronounce the symbol "∑" in mathematical notation?

The symbol "∑" is read as "sigma" in mathematical notation. It represents the summation of a series of numbers or terms.

2. What is the correct pronunciation of the symbol "θ" in mathematical notation?

The symbol "θ" is pronounced as "theta" in mathematical notation. It is commonly used to represent an angle or a variable in trigonometry.

3. How do you say "√" in mathematical notation?

The symbol "√" is pronounced as "square root" in mathematical notation. It is used to indicate the square root of a number or expression.

4. What is the correct way to say "≠" in mathematical notation?

The symbol "≠" is read as "not equal to" in mathematical notation. It is used to show that two values or expressions are not equal to each other.

5. How do you pronounce the symbol "Σ" in mathematical notation?

The symbol "Σ" is pronounced as "capital sigma" in mathematical notation. It is similar to "∑" and is used to represent the summation of a series of numbers or terms.